Senior Platform Engineer at Carbon Nigeria
Posted on: 11 September, 2019
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in ICT / Telecommunication
View All Jobs at Carbon Nigeria
Carbon started in 2012 as a brick and mortar consumer lender focused on the Nigerian market. Having raised a Series A round in 2015, we pivoted in 2016 to become a digital lender via the Paylater App (www.paylater.ng) and recently re-branded in April 2019 to Carbon App (https://getcarbon.co). We are focused on providing access to financial services to the “Next Billion’ starting in Africa.
Senior Platform Engineer
Department: Engineering-Software Development
Employment Type: Full-Time
Minimum Experience: Experienced
What are we looking for?
- As a backend engineer in the Platform team, you’ll get to work across a wide range of systems and environments. As a team, we’re responsible for designing, building, and operating our physical data centres, all of our networking, the services we consume from AWS, and the software we run on top like Kubernetes, Cassandra, DynamoDB, and Terraform. We're investing a lot of up-front effort in building scalable, secure, and resilient systems, capable of supporting Carbon’s continued growth.
You should apply if:
- The work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- You’re passionate about Financial Services.
- You’re familiar with some of our Platform technologies or specialise in just one part.
- You want to help build, scale and operate a platform to support a product that you (and everyone you know) use or will use every day.
- You’re keen to learn more about new technologies and the arcane inner workings of the financial industry.
- You’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity.
- You’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software.
We are looking for candidates who can meet the following criteria - We want to emphasis that we don’t expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in at least one area:
- Experience in building robust, maintainable, scalable applications
- Able to work comfortably in a team.
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless computer platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda)
- Experience with networking, CDNs, HTTP and TCP/IP basics. (We use Cloudflare, AWS VPCs and many of our services implement JSON and/or GraphQL APIs)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform)
- Experience with monitoring applications (We use Amazon Cloudwatch, Datadog)
- Experience with managing databases, caches and message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, MongoDB, Redis and Kafka)
- Experience as a professional "DevOps", "SRE" or "SysAdmin" roles
- Ability to work with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open-source and 3rd party code we depend on.
- Knowledge of microservices (or SOA) and/or distributed systems.
- Experience in Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and/or another automated testing.
- Understanding of basic financial and accounting concepts.
Benefits and Diversity
- At Carbon we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
- We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be.
- That means we have no judgement when it comes to any of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coffee. All you need is a passion for technology and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing start-ups in the African continent. We’re keen to ensure we redesigning a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 1-2 hours of final interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
- We might design a QA automation test together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
- Recent Jobs from Carbon Nigeria
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- QA Engineer (Dev in Test) - Automation at Carbon Nigeria
- Information Security Analyst, Infrastructure Engineering at Carbon Nigeria
- Know More About Carbon NigeriaSimilar Jobs
- IT Tech Support at 9NL LTD
- Software Developer at Aureole Consulting Limited
- Pre-Sales Engineer at Netcom Africa
- Senior IT Support Officer at Elkris Foods
- IT Officer at Creative Associates International
- Junior/Mid-Level Developer at AGL Consulting Ltd
- Web Developer at Sahel Capital
- Verification Officer at Creative Associates International