United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Job ID: 25920
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - Procurement
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes.
- In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Service Centre, ensures effective delivery of procurement services in the NE Sub-office. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to complex issues related to procurement. The Procurement Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
- The Procurement Specialist works in close collaboration with the Management Support, Operations, Programme and project teams in the SO/CO, and UNDP HQs to successfully deliver procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Elaboration and implementation of operational strategies
- Efficient management of procurement processes
- Elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures elaboration and implementation of Sub-Office in NE Region operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; elaboration of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Sub-office (SO) Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit, harmonization of the workflows in the office.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and implementation of contract strategy in the SO including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, evaluation and negotiation of offers, management of the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and implementation of strategic procurement in the SO including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
Ensures efficient management of procurement processes for SO, NIM/DIM projects, and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and proper preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects, establishment of the deadlines and monitoring of their implementation.
- Establishment and implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids or proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation.
- Certification of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Management of procurement contracts and, upon delegation of responsibility, performance of the functions of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approval.
- Elaboration and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders (PO) are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
- Supervision of preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Establishment and implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals on common services expansion for UN Agencies in the North Eastern Region, introduction and management of joint procurement for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Management of the e-procurement system
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the SO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Organization of trainings for Govt. staff on Procurement as required.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall SO/CO efficiency in procurement management and success in establishment and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to procurement, establishment and implementation of the monitoring and control system, timely and appropriate delivery of services, introduction of e-procurement ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP programmes and projects.
Requirements,Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- UNDP Procurement Certification (Level 4) programme is requred
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UNDP, is highly desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Identifying and building partnerships:
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
- Takes responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and strives until successful outputs are achieved
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Developing tools and mechanisms:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Assisting the individuals to cope with change:
- Provides counseling and coaching to colleagues who are dealing with change Assists in the development of policies, communications, and change strategies
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Designing and implementing management system:
- Makes recommendations regarding design or operation of systems or programmes within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Client Orientation
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client:
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Keeps the client informed of problems or delays in the provision of services
- Uses discretion and flexibility in interpreting rules in order to meet client needs and achieve organizational goals more effectively
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Input to the development of standards and policies:
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability and results-based management
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.