The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Finance Technical Assistant
NRC is looking for a Finance Technical Assistant for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Finance Technical Assistant is to support program activities in Maiduguri and in the field offices
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Finance Technical Assistant reports to the Finance Officer.
- Ensure that cash is kept properly, payment process and other financial processes take place in adherence to Financial Handbook, other NRC policies and donor, auditor and the authorities requirements
- Make sure that daily cash counts are maintained and posting of transactions are done on a daily basis and all payment process on time
- Responsible for introducing or removing NRC bank Account signatory.
- Be responsible for bank transactions in line with NRC policy and procedures;
- Posting of income and cost into bank cash boxes i.e. USD and NGN daily basis.
- Be the focal person between Area Office and Field offices in regard to funds transfer requests and other payments through the bank.
- Be responsible for accurate payroll transfer to the bank and follow-up on the transaction on individual staff accounts.
- Be responsible for the release of payment to contractors & other payments as stipulated in the contract/agreement(s) & in line with NRC policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the keeping of cash in Maiduguri Office
- Preparing daily cash count of Maiduguri office
- Preparing of Cheque and transfer letter to the bank.
- Responsible for clearing of advances and the outstanding balance of staff in Maiduguri
- Preferably a degree in Finance, Economics or any other related Course
- Ability to work as a member of the team
- Previous (2yrs) experience working in an accounting department (preferably NGO)
- Willingness to be flexible and respond in a timely manner to support colleague when need arise.
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: September 2019
- Duration: 4 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.