Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
Location: Monguno, Borno
Beginning of contract: ASAP
Contract duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Probation period: 1 months
- Under the supervision of the Program Manager Assistant, the WASH Officer will lead and supervise work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements
- The WASH officer will be in charge to implement and follow-up the drilling and the rehabilitation of boreholes and in the host community, IDP camps and health centres
- The WASH officer will also be in charge of supervising the construction of sanitation facilities such as block of latrines and showers, waste pits or incinerators, especially in health centres.
- In case of cholera outbreak, the WASH officer will also support the Program Manager Assistant in following and monitoring the response to the epidemic.
Set-up and Operational Monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Program Manager Assistant, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his/her Program Manager Assistant or project manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager assistant on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites if any
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- With the support of the emergency team, set up cholera response activities if needed and ensure their follow up as well as monitoring
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population.
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her manager
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the program manager assistant regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
- Professional experience: 1 year of experience in officer position (NGO/Private or Public sector) and/or strong operational background
- Languages: English, Hausa, Kanuri (Shuwa and/or Fulani a strong plus)
- Flexible, adaptable, autonomous, honest, very good organization, multi-tasking, team player
Technical Competences :
- Proficiency in at least one technical domain = Civil engineering / geology / hydrology/Humanities/Hygiene promotion
- Ability to manage a team, daily workers and to deal with a wide range of stakeholders (contractors, authorities etc.)
- Ability to lead emergency interventions = analyse the context, plan the logistics and implement the action plan in short notice
- Microsoft Office (advanced Excel and Word skills), Kobo Collect, ODK.
Salary and Conditions
In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria.
Method of Application
- When the above link opens, select "Water Officer - Monguno", fill the form and attach your CV
- The CV attached must be named with your name and surname.
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Solidarites International career website on docs.google.com to apply