Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Pidgin Service at BBC
Posted on: 15 August, 2019
Deadline: 29 August, 2019
View Jobs in Media / Radio / TV
View All Jobs at BBC
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Pidgin Service
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/42905
Job Category: Journalism
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Business Unit: News - WSG World Service
Reports to: Editor, Pidgin Service
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
- The BBC World Service recently expanded its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
- Three of the new language services, Pidgin, Yoruba and Igbo, are serving our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa.
- They are based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- The BBC is looking for a Senior Broadcast Journalist to work across all digital platforms to ensure that the Pidgin Service develops and grows a distinctiveness, character and status in its target area.
- On a day to day basis, you will contribute creative ideas and inspire the team to produce engaging content.
- Reporting to the Editor Pidgin Service, you will ensure quality and consistency of timely output. You will be required to occasionally do some field reporting. Shift work will be required which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.
- The BBC World Service is recruiting for an experienced Senior Broadcast Journalist to work across the Pidgin Service digital output.
- You will take full editorial responsibility for the timely delivery of the day’s output.
- Reporting to the Editor, your main responsibilities will include leading on the production, creative and timely distribution of all digital content, videos, and innovative editorial projects to serve our Pidgin audiences whilst adhering to the BBC's editorial guidelines and objectives.
- Working with the Pidgin team, you will be responsible for coming up with creative and innovative ways in storytelling and implementing them for BBC Pidgin especially for online and social media consumption. You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
Required Skills & Experience
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Pidgin and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with digital news production systems and writing with flare for pictures. Anunderstanding of social media is essential.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to differentworking methods.
- A good knowledge of online journalism techniques.
- An ability to mentor, lead and inspire a team of journalists to bring out the best in them.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audienceengagement.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Nigerian, African and international current affairs.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style isdesirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC Editorial Guidelines and to abide by BBC Values.
- Knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.
- Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary. Ability to take public comments on board and to make appropriate editorial changes to content.
- Creative Thinking - able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Evidence of innovation and the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones in new ways. Evidence of a desire to create beautiful, quality content.
- Planning and organisation - able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. As well as the ability to motivate and deal sensitively with people who may be working to tight deadlines
- Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with the ability to work with other teams in developing tools, features and services.
- Developing Others - able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Method of Application
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC career website on careerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply
- Know More About BBCSimilar Jobs
- Digital Marketing Executive at Willers Solutions
- Social Media & Content Intern at The Brand Ally
- Social Media Supervisor at Carlcare Development
- Knowledge Management and Learning, M&E and Communications Manager at CARE
- Content Manager at Human Capacity Development Consultants (HCDC)
- Head of Performance Marketing - Jumia at Jumia Nigeria
- Creative Managers at Torydoes Nigeria Limited
- Konga Travel and Tours Digital Officer at Konga Online Shopping Limited