Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Job Ref: 190000Y4
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
Scope of Role
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for overall implementation and oversight of nutrition activities (CMAM & IYCF).
- He/she will also oversee Nutrition Officer implementing nutrition activities in the areas of jurisdiction.
- He/She will who support the day-to-day running of project activities along with SCI partners.
- The Nutrition Coordinator will also ensure that nutrition activities are fully integrated into other sectoral interventions and also enhance coordination between sectors.
- The Nutrition Coordinator will Engage in capacity building activities including training and on the job mentorship to team members, provide training to the nutrition team in IYCF-E, CMAM, and other related nutrition focused activities;
Key Areas of Accountability
- Oversees the implementation of nutrition activities and ensuring that the quality standards and state of the art are met;
- Ensures effective start-up, management, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of integrated Nutrition projects;
- Provide support to the project team and implementing partners; assess training needs, plan & provides training/guidance for staff in setting up new nutrition services;
- Facilitate training for nutrition professionals;
- Participating in and/or leading health, nutrition, and/or multi-sectoral assessments as required;
- Manages all Save the Children resources (equipment, supplies, HR) committed to nutrition program activities;
- Conducts regular field visits to provide supportive supervision to the projects;
- In liaison with the Nutrition Specialist, develop work plans, SOPs, budgets, and other required program documents for nutrition section;
- Conducts regular field visits and review meetings with government officials to monitor the implementation of nutrition programs;
- In collaboration with Nutrition Specialist, ensure timely preparation and implementation of activities while focusing on the targets/ deliverables.
Representation and communication:
- Represent SCI nutrition and participate in internal coordination and share up-to-date within the sector
- Documents findings and recommendations of field visits for follow-up actions; shares as appropriate.
- Actively participates in the development and submission of program reports, ensuring completeness, accuracy and timeliness.
- Documents lessons learned in specific technical areas.
Policy Analysis, Policy Engagement and Advocacy for Policy Change:
- Contribute to nutrition learning and research that supports the sector advocacy objectives and lead the implementation research necessary for evidence-based advocacy.
- Represent the organization at all relevant technical external task forces, working groups, seminars or other meetings as approved by the sector head and use these meetings to negotiate strategic, project and advocacy positions.
- Develop good relations with other NGOs, development and UN agencies working in the sector and where possible forge alliances to influence key actors around advocacy objectives.
- Be fully aware of national policies, strategies and other initiatives and developments by the government and other stakeholders in the sector of the thematic area covered.
- Ensure that the voices of children guide advocacy and policy change objectives and related activities.
- Compile, Analyze and interpret nutrition response data and provide regular updates to government and NGO coordination bodies as requested, and use the information to justify decisions on further resource allocation.
- Participates in identifying, coordinating, and implementing operational research studies to pilot and scale-up effective direct interventions in coordination.
Programme Quality and Effectiveness:
- Ensure that project officers are meeting both internal and donor technical standards and requirements. This includes oversight of implementation quality, reviewing, editing and signing-off donor reports to ensure they are of an acceptable technical and presentational quality.
- Participate in field-based project monitoring and review meetings.
- Liaise with Programme Operations staff to identify technical support needs of projects and staff, and jointly agree on specific and time-bound support needs of projects and staff in relevant technical areas.
- Provide technical training to ensure that the project staff have the necessary skills to technically implement the project.
- Assist project staff in the use of nutrition and cross-cutting tools and guidelines to ensure the quality of work. These include, among others, child participation, child right programming and mainstreaming of gender, diversity and HIV/AIDS.
- Prepare work plans, in consultation with Nutrition Specialist.
- Undertake regular field visits to project sites to ensure technical quality and timeliness of ongoing work.
- The post holder may be responsible for additional tasks and duties as and when required to support the overall Country Programme, regional and head office priorities.
Qualification and Experience
- M.Sc Degree or First Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Nutrition or related health fields with a minimum of 5 years work experience in the nutrition the area of emergency nutrition in NGO environment.
- Strong analysis and writing skills
- Certificate in monitoring and evaluation, nutrition in the humanitarian context, CMAM, IYCF, or any other related topics.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels -
- Excellent understanding of the relevant thematic sector in Nigeria at both field and policy levels; including the national nutrition program and well as CMAM programming
- Proven experience in emergency nutrition projects
- Familiarity with nutrition donors, partners, and NGO groups
- Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realising children’s rights in Nigeria, in relation to the thematic area
- Understanding of advocacy and representation within the nutrition sector.
- Demonstrable experience in M&E
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proven conceptual skills and an ability to think and plan strategically
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Excellent spoken and written English and local language (Northeast of Nigeria)
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases)
- Experience in nutrition project data management and IYCF programming.
- Having an operational experience will be a plus advantage.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future-oriented, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received and also Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date if considered necessary. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not use any third party for employment and also does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.