Procurement Assistant (National Position) at Save The Children
Posted on: 15 April, 2019
Deadline: 20 April, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Save The Children
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Procurement Assistant (National Position)
Ref Id: 190000Y0
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for supporting the Procurement processes to ensure effective, transparent and accountable support to the Save the Children programs in Borno State. Under the supervision of the Procurement Officer, the procurement Assistant assists in the management and administration of procurement cases on behalf of the logistics department in order to facilitate the smooth running of SCI programmes in Borno State.
- S/he is to ensure that orders for goods and services are processed promptly and good value for money is obtained according to the existing SCI Logistics Procedures.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Procurement Officer
- Staff directly reporting to this post: (Possibly) – Logistics Intern
Key Areas of Accountability
Procurement and Supply:
- Acknowledge and register Purchaser Requests received and where necessary provide initial feedback on costing estimates and delivery times.
- Receive and process local orders assigned by the Procurement Officer, checking that orders have been correctly filled, that quantity/specification is acceptable and that coding has been provided and the order has been properly authorized;
- Assist to prepare necessary requests for quotation for all required supplies, works and service providers, with all specifications, indicating closing dates to receive quotations, with strict adherence to SCI procedures, receive quotations for local procurement requirements and prepare a competitive bid analysis on the quotations and make recommendations to award a contract/purchase order, prepare required local purchase orders (LPOs) ensuring correctness and details of specifications, quantities and financial information for submission and approval.
- Where requested, with support from the PO help requesters develop good specifications, advising on availability, rough estimates, etc.
- Ensure compliance with SCI procurement procedures and in-country SoPs. Assist in the maintenance of the vendor roster and a price list.
- Ensure all procurement files are held in soft and hard copy, and completed files are correctly named.
- In liaison with the Warehouse Officer, coordinate the reception of goods from suppliers and follow up with suppliers / transporters on items missing or damaged in transit.
- Ensure that Purchase Orders are completed with PR details, delivery dates and times and are submitted to the warehouse before delivery of the goods.
- Assist to ensure prompt payment to suppliers is made promptly and that the finance department receives all the necessary documentation.
- Ensure procurement is undertaken in a timely manner to minimize disruption to programmes.
- Provide advance warnings of delays / shortages or other problems to the PO.
- Make sure that all suppliers are dealt with fairly and equally. Must never use her/his position for personal gain and should refuse any gifts that are offered by suppliers.
- Ensure items are never purchased from family members. If a conflict of interest arises you must request the involvement of an unbiased SCI colleague in relation to the specific order / issue.
- Ensure the receipt of all goods procured locally is properly recorded using the correct SCI documentation e.g. GRN and a copy is filed with the finance paperwork.
- When required, follow up with Abuja for procurement files not being processed locally, request on a regular basis an update on these files and update programme teams on the status of these procurement files.
- Manage supplier relationship up to delivery of goods / completion of services.
- Follow up with Finance office on outstanding payments files. In liaison with the PO trouble-shoot file incompleteness and/or inconsistencies.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date a hard documentation filling system for procurement files allowing easy reference for audit purposes.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, code of conduct, fraud, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
- Work in close collaboration with the finance and administration departments to ensure effective operations and strong team spirit.
- Carry out any other tasks required by the line manager in line with job description and capacity development plan.
- Maintain all Procurement files in an organized, accurate and up to date manner
- Produce weekly procurement tracker and send to PO and where necessary programme teams at field level
- Generate any other procurement related reports upon request (based on item category/donor/time/budget)
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills and Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics or Business Administration or Economics
- Professional certification in Procurement an added advantage
- Must have completed NYSC
- Communication & Interpersonal Skill Level - Excellent
- Language Requirements – English and Hausa - Excellent
- Level of IT literacy Required – (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email system, Internet browsing) excellent
- Desired Number of Years Prior Experience in a Similar Role – 2
- Experience in procurement and logistics with INGO: Minimum 2 years
- Experience in a relatively insecure field based environment
- Experience working with Save the children
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions when necessary
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Recent Jobs from Save The Children
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Human Resources Officer (National position) at Save The Children
- Education Program Coordinator (National Position) at Save The Children
- Advocacy & Campaign Coordinator (National Position) at Save The Children
- Warehouse Assistant (National Position) at Save The Children
- Information Technology Support Assistant (National Position) at Save The Children
- Know More About Save The ChildrenSimilar Jobs
- Senior Procurement Specialist at KPMG
- Lead Procurement Consultant/ Expert at KPMG
- Procurement Specialist at KPMG
- Procurement Specialist / Civil Engineer at KPMG
- Active Distributor Store Keeper at PZ Cussons
- Procurement Officer at Compovine Technologies
- Supply Chain Assistant at Save The Children
- Store Manager at Solidarites International