The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/33655
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Department: BBC Pidgin Service
Reports to: Editor, Pidgin Service
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million across various platforms.
- The BBC World Service has recently expanded its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12. Three of the new language services, Pidgin, Yoruba and Igbo, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa.
- They are based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- We are now looking for excellent Broadcast Journalists with the relevant technical and language skills to join the new Pidgin service. Shift work will be required which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.
- As a BBC Broadcast Journalist you will work creatively across all digital platforms – audio, video and text – to ensure that the Pidgin Service output develops and grows a distinctive character and status in its target area.
- On a daily basis, you will engage actively with the audience ensuring consistency of output. You will be required occasionally to do some field reporting. The successful candidate will have some experience within a media environment. Fluent in Pidgin and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering creative output online platforms.
- Knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential.
- You will have knowledge of and recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria. Ability to work under pressure and to react to breaking news is essential. You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
Required Skills & Experience
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Pidgin and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and theability to communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with video editing and writing for pictures and understanding social media.
- Familiarity with news production systems, and a willingness to learn to operate new technologyand to be able to adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, produce and translate with accuracy, clarityand style appropriate to a young audience.
- Familiarity with the internet and an awareness of the potential of new technology.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audienceinvolvement.
- Familiarity with the region to which the Service broadcasts and an understanding of the region’shistory, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- A good knowledge of, and interest in, international current affairs, particularly in so far as theyaffect the target areas.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style isdesirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt the editorial aims and policies of BBC and to abide by BBCValues.
- Knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thoroughunderstanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and departmentobjectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views wherenecessary. Aability to take public comments on board and to make appropriate editorial changesto content.
- Creative Thinking - able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Evidence of innovationand the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones innew ways. Evidence of a desire to create beautiful, quality content.
- Planning and organisation - able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient andappropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking intoaccount all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles,tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. As well asthe ability to motivate and deal sensitively with people who may be working to tight deadlines
- Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convinceothers. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results inagreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective workingrelationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with the ability to work with otherteams in developing tools, features and services.
- Developing Others - able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise)and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potentialcan be realised.
- Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure,setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that ischaracterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Ableto understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt anapproach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes inone’s own organisation or job requirements.
Package: Local terms and Conditions.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click here for more Information (Pdf)