FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions.
Deputy Director, Programs
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Supervisor: Project Director
- As a member of the Program Management Team, the position holder will work with the Project Director to provide oversight, coordination, monitoring and reporting of the Alive & Thrive activities in Abuja and the state/zonal offices.
The Nigeria A&T breastfeeding and IYCF social and behavior change program focuses on improving rates of early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary feeding, and minimum dietary diversity for infants from 6 - 24 months old. A&T works across the public, commercial/private, and NGO sectors to improve breastfeeding and IYCF through A&T’s four components: advocacy/policy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data.
At the national level, A&T predominantly works with a selected group of public, private/commercial, and NGO sector partners (Every Newborn Action Plan, RMNCH, UNICEF, USAID/MCSP, Scaling Up Nutrition, NANMs, NANPAN and other multi-state or national entities) to improve the implementation, monitoring, and enforcement of key IYCF policies (Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes; maternity leave; work place support; breastfeeding-friendly public and private health care and delivery facilities). A&T also works intensively in two states - Lagos (metropolitan) and Kaduna (urban and rural) - to roll out the National SBCC Strategy for IYCF at state level, applying A&T’s proven four components to reach households, communities, and facilities with targeted, age-appropriate social and behavior change communication (SBCC) support and messaging on IYCF practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide management support to state/zonal offices focusing on work plans, sub agreement amendments, periodic fund requests, and reporting Ensure Ensure all procurements, workplans, A&T implementation contracts deliverables, recruitments, travel plans, field visit plans etc. are delivered on time in line with FHI/A&T policies and donor requirements
- Monitor and enforce compliance with donor and FHI policies by national State/zonal Offices and subgrantees.
- Manage the design of sub grant activities as directed including the preparation of budgets, implementation schedules, modifications, requests and evaluation criteria.
- Ensure timely submission of deliverables by sub grantees including workplans, budgets and reports
- Ensure appropriate monitoring of sub grants to achieve financial, administrative, and programmatic goals.
- Guide and support the state and zonal offices in establishing sound management systems to ensure cohesive implementation of project activities.
- Guide A&T state and national teams to conduct weekly/monthly management meetings Ensure timely submission of A&T monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of systems that effectively respond to The Foundation’s requirements regarding implementation procedures, reporting and evaluation.
- Coordinate capacity development efforts in support of state/zonal offices and subgrantee staff and other partners.
- Ensure availability of technical resources and integrate their efforts into overall program.
- Liaise with multiple stakeholders and collaborators to share information, coordinate activities and avoid duplication in the implementation of the programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong management and planning skills
- PHD or similar degree with 5-7 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
- Or MS/MA in social science, public health or related field, MPH preferred, and a minimum of 7-9 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years relevant supervisory experience.
- Or BS/BA in social science, public health or related field, with a minimum of 9-11 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public-sector health systems, international donor organizations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Considerable experience in designing and implementing of public health/international development programs funded by US government or other international donors.
- Demonstrated management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Diplomatic; demonstrated experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders.
- Ability to manage projects, consultants, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of programs.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Interested and qualified? Go to fhi 360 career website on fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com to apply