Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
Reports to: Area Operations Manager with matrix reporting to the Nutrition Programme Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Project Officers
Budget Responsibilities: None
Job Type: Full-time
- The project manager based in Lagos will support the Nutrition Programme Manager in overall coordination of the Alive & Thrive project in Kaduna and Lagos while also doubling as the State team leader for the Lagos team.
- The Project Manager will ensure synergy across the two states and will contribute and work within a dynamic three (3) year Alive & Thrive (A&T) Nutrition Project.
- As the STL in his/her role will ensure that state-level project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met in Lagos and that financial, operational in Lagos and reporting requirements of the donor are adhered to in Lagos State.
- S/he will be working closely with the Nutrition Programme Manager and managing core staff of technical and administrative programme experts.
Scope of Role
- The Project Manager Lagos will work closely with the Nutrition Programme Manager, STL Kaduna, SBCC Adviser, Senior Project Officer and Monitoring and Evaluation Manager.
Key Deliverables Include
State level quality implementation:
- Part of the Programme Management Unit (PMU) and an active contributor to the Nutrition and Alive & Thrive Programme teams.
- Accountable for the delivery of Project objectives, outcomes, and milestones at the state level and ensures that financial, operational, and reporting requirements of the programme and the donor are followed.
- Ensure the results of logical framework are achieved with the support of the Programme Manager.
- Work closely with the A&T teams in Lagos & Kaduna to ensure all interventions are delivered to the highest quality standards and according to approved workplans.
- Ensure State level workplans (annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly) are prepared and approved by the Programme Manager according to set timelines.
- Support STL Kaduna and Programme Officers to develop timely budgets and workplans and further ensure the implementation of activities as agreed in the workplan.
- Work in collaboration with the Kaduna & Lagos State team through formal and informal exchanges to increase the impact of the project.
- Ensure that all outputs of the Alive and Thrive Project are met, working together to promote a “one team” approach.
- Liaise with other relevant nutrition programmes in Save the Children International as well as in Lagos & Kaduna States as appropriate to further the outcomes of the programme.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of child safeguarding (safe programming) and fraud awareness in programme implementation.
- Leverage the technical assistance from the Nutrition team in the Country office to ensure effective and high quality programme delivery.
Monitoring and Documentation:
- Work in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager to ensure that State Programme data is accurate and updated for Lagos state.
- Accountable for the delivery of quality Reports of activities in Lagos State as per schedule agreed with the PM.
- Ensure case studies and success stories are periodically developed from Lagos State’s A&T implementation.
- Weekly programme update meeting with the PMU and Kaduna STL
Representation of the Project:
- Representation of the project at state level events in Lagos States
- Convey the overall purpose, activities, and achievements of the Project to external stakeholders in the state.
- Ensure A&T representation and contribution in relevant meetings in Lagos & Kaduna State.
- Collaborate with other nutrition actors in Lagos & Kaduna State.
Human Resources Development:
- Ensure that all Line-managed Staff are supported to produce quality and timely deliverables.
- Build capacity of Line-manged staff in areas requiring need development.
- Support the recruitment of new team members.
Additional job responsibilities:
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Works closely and constructively with many colleagues at all levels and across cultures, influencing effectively while having little formal authority and to hold peers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Proactive, forward thinker who is able to plan ahead and anticipate requirements and problems
- Maintains a calm disposition and positive outlook when working under pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as with others.
- Fully appreciates of the value of cooperation, both internationally and within a team.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions and cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach.
- Thinks creatively and strategically and translates strategy into practical action.
- Analyses complex information from different sources and to synthesise this information into coherent briefs and communication documents.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence. Displays consistent and excellent judgement.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with proven experience of relationship management with stakeholders.
- Passion and commitment to the values of Save the Children.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.