The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in child protection, public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
Senior Program Coordinator
Requisition ID: req2794
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Scope of Work
- The Senior Program Coordinator (SPC) will work closely with the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and the Deputy Director Field Management (DDFM) to lead program quality, development and strategy.
- S/he will ensure effective program coordination and technical support, monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance and accountability.
- The SPC will provide direct program oversight of IRC Nigeria’s implementation across the specified Outcome Areas of Safety, Health, Education, Economic Welbeing and Power.
- S/he will help represent the IRC program to major stakeholders, relevant government authorities and other program partners.
Areas of Responsibilities
Program quality and development:
- Monitor the humanitarian context in North East Nigeria through consistent participation in relevant information and coordination forums as assigned by the DDFM.
- In Liaison with the M&E Coordinator, lead the deployments of assessment teams ensuring accountable approaches applying international standards.
- Contribute to the preparation of concept papers and grant proposals for submission to major donors, especially through the early flagging of humanitarian emergencies and the gathering of primary and secondary data.
- Support program sector leads to effectively implement and promote project reviews and other learning events.
- Provide leadership to the sector leads in setting program strategy and priorities that align to the country program’s goals, objectives and targets;
- Work with the DDP to conduct analyses to determine humanitarian/development gaps and how the IRC should position itself to best serve the needs of the people we serve;
- Facilitate the coordination between different programs and ensure that program managers and technical coordinators for cross-cutting themes are able to work together effectively according to program work plans;
- Work with technical leads to ensure adherence to grant agreements, IRC’s policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations;
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites for monitoring, quality control and program staff mentoring and coaching.
- Work with designated Technical Advisers to ensure that program implementation is aligned to minimum standards and in adherence to tools, systems and procedures that are in place.
- Ensure that donor reports produced by the Programs team effectively demonstrate the impact of IRC’s program interventions.
HR and Staff Management:
- Supervise both national and international program technical teams in the field and participate in the hiring and orientation of new team members as necessary;
- Support project staff through close attention to staff care, mentoring, and development and monitoring of IRC Performance Plans through coaching sessions and appraisals.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance, and reach objectives;
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Representation and Advocacy:
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Nigeria including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Upon request by the Senior Management Team in Nigeria, assist in organizing donor site visits by supporting field staff in the smooth design and implementation of agendas and visit activities.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and Deputy Director Field Management (DDFM)
- Position directly supervises: Program Coordinators in the sectors of Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health, Economic Recovery and Development, Protection and Rule of Law, Women Protection and Empowerment, Education and Child Protection
- Other internal and/or external contacts: M&E staff, grants staff; finance, HR and supply chain departments
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Master's degree in International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, Security Studies, Human Rights, Diplomacy, International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid, Communication or related fields
- Possesses at least five years of field-based experience managing staff and programs, particularly in complex emergencies and insecure environments
- Demonstrated experience in program management, project design and use of project design tools
- Demonstrated experience in supervising expatriate and national staff, and in mentoring of national staff and with strong commitment to staff capacity development;
- Demonstrated qualities of leadership, sensitivity to cultural setting, communication skills, commitment, and sound judgment.
- Aptitude to adapt to a different context regarding security, culture, climate or health issue, demonstrated by experience outside of country of origin
- Willingness to travel at least 25% of your time
- Demonstrated ability to organize, plan and prioritize work tasks.
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The Senior Program Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria with travel throughout the sites where IRC has a presence. The security situation in the North-East Nigeria continues to be volatile in with the security level at 3 (orange).
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
- This is a non-accompanied position. The Senior Program Coordinator will live in shared housing.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) career website on rescue.csod.com to apply