INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Location: Maiduguri Borno State with frequent travel to activity sites
Starting date: ASAP
Reporting to: WASH Supervisor
Duration: 9 months
Purpose of the Position
The WaSH Supervisor will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with frequent field trips. S/he will be responsible for the implementation of all the WASH activities defined in a project, for the quality of INTERSOS’ interactions with the IDPs and local communities, ensuring strong relationships and promoting community ownership of all INTERSOS activities related to water, sanitation and hygiene in targeted LGAs, Borno State. The WASH Supervisor is responsible for activities Planning and Supervision of Field Staff, Technical designs of WASH Infrastructures, Conducting trainings for communities on hygiene, Water Management Committees, Awareness campain, Data collection, supporting the team in developing the new concept ideas and mobilizing the communities for WASH activities.
- Design Water and Sanitation Construction Projects and prepare Bill of Quantities.
- Monitor the construction of water supply systems and distributions, network, gravity flow, drinking water quality and treatment (Chlorination), Organize, manage and record
- INTERSOS distributions as required, in collaboration with the Hygiene Promoters/Social Mobilizers.
- Supervise Water and Sanitation construction projects and ensure contract terms and conditions and Health & safety guide lines are adhered to for the entire duration of the contract.
- Monitoring the drilling of bore holes, that is water source development, well and borehole installation
- Participate in drafting new proposals of activities, including the technical descriptions and the budget associated with them.
- Work along with the hygiene promotion team in all the processes of selecting, designing, implementing and monitoring the WASH systems and activities by meetings and good communication.
- Regularly inform the field manager verbally and with written reports on the state and progress of the activities and the problems and/or solutions identified
- Ensure community participation in all WASH activities.
- Provide detailed, accurate and timely weekly reports to supervisor on activities, challenges and areas in need of improvement
- Ensure constant communication with INTERSOS WASH staff to identify potential problems, formulate recommendations and solutions and report
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to the field, to follow-up on INTERSOS activities and ensure community participation in the activities
- Ensure that consideration is given with focus on gender, protection and HIV/AIDS in water and sanitation activities.
- Participate in organizing all logistical support for meetings, seminars, workshops and missions
- Attend the Co-ordination meetings conduct needs assessments of the area whenever requested, inform and co-ordinate the WASH activities with the other agencies and actors
- carrying out similar activities
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Must have a minimum of Diploma in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering or relevant University Degree in the same field.
- A minimum of years’ experience in WASH, preferably with humanitarian organization
- Knowledge of Computer aided design and Microsoft Office – AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, MS Excel, MS Word and MS Power point
- Language: English is mandatory and knowledge of local language is an asset
- Strong humanitarian commitment
- Quality: dynamic, autonomous, Proactive, flexible, take initiative.
- Availability to work in targeted LGAs, Borno State.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on docs.google.com to apply