Programme Manager (WASH) at International Organization for Migration - IOM
Posted on: 31 October, 2018
Deadline: 12 November, 2018
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at International Organization for Mi
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Programme Manager (WASH)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- North-East Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. Consequently, almost 2 million individuals are currently displaced, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States. Many of those are living in overpopulated Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) sites and host communities, and are in desperate need of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services and facilities.
- In light of the emerging crisis, the scale of IOM’s WASH response in Nigeria has been growing over the last year and have reached almost 30,000 individuals in almost all accessible areas in Borno state, in addition to some areas in Adamawa.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-office/Emergency Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring efficient delivery and management of WASH activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Contribute to the design and ensure the execution of the overall WASH strategy for IOM in the country in close coordination with the WASH Sector working group, relevant Government counterparts, affected communities and other relevant humanitarian stakeholders.
- Manage the overall implementation of the WASH programme activities in NE Nigeria to guarantee that scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance to the different projects specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
- Ensure appropriate and timely resource mobilization for the implementation of the WASH programme, in coordination with the Chief of Mission, Head of office/Emergency coordinator and other relevant colleagues in the Country Office (CO). Proactively recommend programme development opportunities, new funding sources, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of the IOM WASH portfolio. Liaise effectively with donors and the private sector at local and regional levels to discuss funding to sustain the WASH programme and draft proposals for funding.
- Lead the design process and oversee compliance of technical specifications for the implementation of the required WASH infrastructure and services to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- Monitor the financial management of projects to facilitate alignment with internal and donor requirements. Ensure that the budget lines are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
- Manage and monitor technically and administratively the whole of the WASH team. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the members of the team. Mentor, coach and manage the staff under supervision; support the performance evaluations and oversee and help to resolve team conflicts.
- Oversee all WASH programme related procurement efforts for supplies and services, in coordination with the Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit; ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Liaise with the WASH Sector, other WASH agencies, government authorities / entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM WASH activities are coordinated to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in Nigeria. Ensure that any needed operational agreement or authorization from the local authorities is convened to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
- Coordinate internally within IOM units / programmes the implementation of activities and ensure that inter-sectoral activities / approaches are planned and coordinated with the respective units / programmes.
- Ensure that the WASH programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tuning of systems and processes.
- Ensure an effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders. Make sure that the relevant and necessary information is transmitted downstream to all the members of the WASH team on a timely manner.
- Prepare project reports, situation reports, programme updates as necessary and/or as requested by the Head of Office/Emergency Coordinator and ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the WASH programming such as GBV,
- Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and other cross cutting issues related mainstreaming in coordination with the Protection Officer.
- Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and other duties of concern to the project.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in Engineering, Public Health, Project Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in environmental (WASH, Water Sanitation (WATSAN));
- Experience with UN, an international organization or NGO;
- Field experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Experience in environmental project implementation, including engineering and M&E activities in the region;
- Experience in partnership engagement and management;
- Computer literate (word processors, spreadsheet, database, CAD and statistical packages, etc.);
- Good knowledge of Nigeria and the African region is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of native languages –especially in Kanuri, Hausa, Fulani, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration - IOM career website on recruit.iom.int to apply
- Know More About International Organization for Migration - IOMSimilar Jobs
- MEAL Officer at ZOA International
- Senior Governance Specialist at Malaria Consortium
- Adolescent, Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) Coordinator at Save The Children
- State IHP Director - Nigeria IHP Task Order 5 at Palladium Group
- Capacity Development Officer at Palladium Group
- HSS Specialist at World Health Organization (WHO)
- NTD Technical Manager - Country Office Nigeria at CBM International
- Zonal Coordinator at fhi 360