Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustice. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and is scaling up an emergency response in Benue and Cross River States. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene.
Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Ogoja, Cross River State
As part of the WASH intervention, to safeguard and improve the public health of the affected population by:
- Promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use, cleaning and maintenance of WASH facilities and services;
- Ensuring community participation in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Establish hygiene promotion team and delegate duties to hygiene promotion volunteers
- Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to stakeholders.
- Collate data from Community Mobilisers and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
- Coordinate with water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion field staff to ensure that various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
- Coordinate with community leaders and other sectors and also with the WASH cluster working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector.
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority water and sanitation related health risks.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Monitoring and following up the distribution of hygiene kits.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Train, provide support and manage Community Mobilisers or other hygiene outreach workers.
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Supervise Hygiene Promotion activities and resources.
Qualification, Skills and Requirements
- B.Sc Degree on Health Promotion, Community Development, Education, Community Water Supply or other related fields
- At least two years’ experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/or international partner organizations.
- Practical experience on the use of participatory tools for promotion of sanitation and hygiene
- Must have good assessment, analytical, and planning skills.
- Good oral and written reporting skills in English.
- Training/counterpart development skills.
- Ability to work well in a team under difficult circumstances
- Familiarity with the culture of the affected population
- Strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters.
- Only Nigerian nationals should apply.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct:
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in a single document to: Tor.Felix.Terdzungwe@nca.no
- Please include two referees in your applications with detailed contacts, of which one must be a recent supervisor from your former/current organisation/institution.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Candidate is required to start as soon as possible.