Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
Programme Procurement and Logistic Coordinator
Responsible for: NTD Procurement with emphasis on Trachoma
Department: Finance and Performance
Reports to: Finance and Support Services Manager with a dotted line into the Programme Procurement Specialist NTDs on the central Programme Procurement team
- Under the overall leadership of Finance and Support Services Manager, the Programme Procurement & Logistics Coordinator is responsible for the effective delivery of supply chain services to the Sightsavers Nigeria Country Office trachoma Elimination programmes.
- He/she will work with the programme teams to ensure programme activities have the required goods at their disposal on time in the right place whilst ensuring the integrity of products that are safe for end beneficiaries in line with national and international standards and regulations.
- Working closely with Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) programme staff in the country office, the primary focus of the role will be the ordering of pharmaceuticals, medical and surgical supplies, medical devices, vehicles and equipment in support of trachoma elimination activities, and the effective handling of shipping, import and local logistics processes to ensure such goods are in the right place at the right time.
- The post holder will ensure this is achieved in line with local laws, international standards and organisational policy and strictly following the Sightsavers Programme Procurement framework.
- To this effects, He/she will work closely with the central Programme Procurement team based in the UK and will have a dotted reporting line into the Procurement Specialist NTDs.
Procurement Planning and Execution:
- In collaboration with the various NTD programme staff in Nigeria, and with support where needed form the Procurement Analyst on the central team, undertake the planning of procurement for the programmes to ensure needs are known as early as possible.
- Work the Procurement Specialist NTDs to assess the best sourcing strategies (local versus central) for these goods.
- Support the selection of preferred suppliers in line with recommendations from the programme teams and the central Programme Procurement Team and ensure sourcing & quotes analysis processes are duly completed and documented in line with agreed organisational standards.
- Where relevant, complete and document supplier due diligence checks (code of conduct, licences to supply, product certifications) in line with agreed organisational standards for sign off by the central Programme Procurement team.
- Process all orders through the prescribed organisational systems (Standard List, procure-to-pay system ProActis) ensuring orders are properly coded (donor fund code, project codes, etc.).
Importation & Logistics:
- Work with the Logistics Specialist on the central Programme Procurement team to ensure effective handing and transportation of orders. This includes keeping up to date on and adhering to national import rules and regulations (IATA’s Dangerous Goods Regulations; certificates, permits and waivers required for export/import; packaging and labelling regulations), communicating those to the Logistics Specialist on the central team, arranging for goods clearance and completion of import procedures, completing the good receipting processes in the correct manner and within the required timeframe and organising onward storage and transportation within Nigeria.
- Ensure that all documentation relating to logistics transactions is correctly gathered and stored in order to fulfil any future audit requirements or evaluations
- Support the negotiation of long and short term local contracts (service level agreements), both with new and existing suppliers for maximum logistics effectiveness.
- Produce periodic reports on the status of procurement and logistics activities across the assigned portfolio for the Nigeria Country Office management team.
- For any order involving pharmaceutical goods, ensure Good Distribution Practice (GDP) Standard Operating Procedures are followed through the supply chain and report to the Quality Manager any occasions were the procedures are not followed. Carry out investigations as required by the Quality Manager and contribute to the continuous improvement activity for GDP.
- The principle accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Entry Requirements - The Essential Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- University graduate preferable in Medical or Pharmaceutical Sciences with a minimum of 3 years working experience, ideally in an NGO sector
- Strong knowledge of procurement and logistics , preferably in the relevant thematic area (medical/clinical goods and equipment)
- Knowledge of international development/humanitarian programmes
- Knowledge of developing & rolling out processes, tools and procedures
- Knowledge of maintaining databases and providing management information
- Knowledge of effectively supporting a diverse customer base
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Must be able to work independently, as well as part of a team to ensure neutrality
- Must have proven track record of knowledge and experience of procurement and logistics processes and requirements
- Analytical thinker able to take a step back and work through challenging issues
- Continuous improvement mind-set, able to deliver constructive challenge to improve purchasing across the organisation
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals
- Generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations
- Ability to identify client’s needs and offer appropriate solutions
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Strives for quality client-centred services (internal/external) when making decisions and taking action
- Excellent attention to details with an ability to follow issues through completion process
- Negotiation skills and able to manage external relationships ‘peer to peer’ with diplomacy and tenacity Well organised and deadline driven
- Service and Customer focused; able to deal effectively with internal customers and external suppliers
- Strong ICT skills (Excel in particular)
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel up to project areas in Nigeria
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement - Seeks continuous improvement in own and team's performance. Assists and encourages others to adapt to change and implement new ideas
- Communicating and influencing - Identifies the needs of others, uses effective approaches and styles to persuade and communicates to groups in an interesting and effective way.
- Decision making - Consults and listens to take clear and timely decisions
- Planning and organisation - Develops plans considering all the resources necessary to achieve objectives
- Monitors objectives and measurement systems on a regular basis, identifying trends and key messages in data
- Delivery and implementation - Continues to perform objectives positively in the face of pressures from various sources. Ensure the team has a 'can do' attitude and customer service mentality
- Team working - Encourages and supports team members to ensure contributions are recognised, delegates effectively and encourages working in collaboration
- Nigeria country Office NTD teams
- Programme Procurement Specialist NTD (UK)
- Programme Procurement Logistics Specialist (UK)
- The wider central Programme Procurement team
- Technical Lead - Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme
- Project Director Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust Trachoma Initiative/Commonwealth/AccelaTED supporting Nigeria
- Director NTD Coordination Nigeria
- Senior Programme Manager S, F & E
- Technical Manager S, F & E State NTD programme teams
- Nigeria Country Office Finance team
- Suppliers and other corporates/agents
- West Africa Postgraduate Medical College (WAPMC)
- Local NGOs and partners
- Government regulating agencies on drugs and consumables in Nigeria
- Peer Groups within the third sector
- GDP Responsible Person and Quality Manager
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download and fill the "Application Form" and "Equal Opportunities Form" below and submit as two separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download the Application Form (MS Word)
Click here to download the Equal Opportunities Form (MS Word)