The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 191 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Duration: 6 months
Category of Staff: Delegate
The Secretariat of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is organized into four Business groups in Geneva and five Business Groups in the field, namely the Regional Offices for Africa, Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The Africa Region Business Group is organized through Country Cluster Offices covering the National Societies Dakar, Abuja, Nairobi, Pretoria and Yaoundé as well as country representations in Republic of South Sudan, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Niger and Democratic Republic of Congo. The West Africa Country Cluster Office based in Abuja covers the following countries (Nigeria, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Benin, Togo)
- Reporting to the Head of Country Cluster, the Operations Manager provides the technical lead to ensure optimal coordination and direct management of resources for the effective and efficient implementation of the emergency operation.
- The Operations Manager will support implementation of the operation in collaboration with the Nigerian Red Cross-National Society who has overall oversight of the operation.
- The Operations Manager is responsible and accountable for the implementation plan, budget as well as reporting.
- The Operations will also ensure support is provided to Nigeria Red Cross Society to enhance the implementation of the emergency operation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Negotiate, plan and mobilise IFRC resources in support of the NS in the assessment, planning, and implementation of the emergency response.
- Along the NS, build alliances and partnerships with other emergency actors to enhance the implementation of the emergency plan of action. Support, the NS to enhance their position vis a vis the national and international coordination mechanisms.
- Promote and assist the integration of humanitarian priorities and interventions within all relevant programming divisions in the NS.
- Ensure that the response is based on frameworks and approaches that are consistent with or have considered national and international standards and guidelines, as well as IFRC policies, procedures and tools.
- Assist the NS, Movement and external partners in the achievement of planned outcomes and deliverables following quality standards, in a timely fashion, and within budgets.
- Ensure a robust and coherent monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution, and ensure that humanitarian interventions are responsive to current and emerging needs and threats.
- Work with the regional DM or DCPRR Unit to develop, implement and review contingency planning for identified threats in operational areas, as well as the development of capacities within the NS for emergency response.
- Support the NS in setting up the structure needed to ensure that all components of the response are identified, planned and carried out in a coordinated, collaborative and integrated manner with Movement and external partners.
- Support the NS in developing and implementing operational standards, tools and procedures that ensure quality, consistency and sustainability of emergency response interventions. Together with the NS and the Head of Country Office, represent IFRC in coordination meetings and forums, involving national authorities, national and international agencies, donors and other partners in the country.
- Support the NS in establishing an effective information management system for the response, including statistics.
- Work with PMER leads in IFRC and the NS to ensure that planning and reporting requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Advise on the need of additional human resources and support deployments in coordination with the Country and Regional IFRC offices, HR departments and/or surge desk.
- Ensure sound financial management is applied to all Federation-assisted programmes within the NS,
- that budgets are monitored and any problems identified and solutions implemented in timely and effective manner.
- Manage operational budgets to ensure that expenditure relating to IFRC-supported operations is within income and approved ceilings, in compliance with IFRC finance procedures and in line with donor earmarking requirements.
- University degree in relevant area
- Basic Delegates Training Course or IMPACT. FACT, ERU, RDRT training
- At least 5 years of disaster management experience, including managing staff
- Field experience in coordinating and managing disaster and crisis management projects and activities especially population movements
- Work experience with RC/RC
- Experience in project cycle management including proposal development, budgeting and reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Good knowledge and relevant work experience in the regional context
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Effective team and project management skills
- Good analytical skills and solution-oriented
- Good mentoring and capacity development skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural team
- Excellent stress management skills
- Demonstrated accountability
Competencies and Values
- Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
- Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
- Strategic orientation; Building alliances; Leadership; Empowering others
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat's goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications and CV's to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested and qualified? Go to The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) career website on www.ifrc.org to apply