Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
Length of contract: 5-years
Role type: National
Child safeguarding level: TBC
Reporting to: Line manager: Admin Officer
Country and Project Background
Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible.
Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria. Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners. The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SuNMaP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
The anticipated follow on project, SuNMaP2 has been designed to strengthen the management and technical capacity of NMEP, State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) and their stakeholders to drive the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan, 2014 to 2020 and achieve its ambitious targets. This will include short term technical assistance and technical assistance embedded in NMEP in key areas of programme management, evidence generation and use, and capacity building across all project outputs and ultimately reducing Nigeria’s malaria burden and strengthening the Government of Nigeria’s health systems capacity to ensure long term programme and impact sustainability.
- This job holder is responsible for operating the vehicle and ensures general safety of assigned vehicle.
Scope of Work
- The driver would be responsible for picking up and driving the programme officials, pickups and other scheduled appointments.
- And also will be responsible for performing minor maintenance tasks on the vehicles to assure the functionality of the vehicle.
Key Working Relationships:
- The role will report to the State Admin Officers for SuNMaP2 and will work closely with the state team for logistics support in carrying out daily operations of programme activities.
Safely transport persons and goods (70%):
- Transport safely Malaria Consortium employees and goods as directed by the line manager
- Always be in possession of a valid driving license and personal identification
- Respect and observe the Nigeria traffic regulations, speed limits and adjust speed according to road and risk conditions (for example, when driving in villages or populated areas)
- Observe Malaria Consortium standard operating procedures for vehicles
- Observe the manufacturer technical conditions of use for all vehicles
- Report any accident immediately to line manager and the nearest police station for purpose of insurance claims
- Assist in loading and off-loading, and fetching water
- Ensure safety of vehicles assigned to you at all times
- Ensure passengers wear seat belts at all times
Vehicle maintenance and checklist for field trips (20%):
- Responsible for daily and weekly preventive maintenance and report to the line manager any problems with vehicles
- Ensure vehicles are always on full fuel tanks
- Diligently and promptly update the movement and fuel consumption logbook
- Furnish the logbook to the line manager as and when required to facilitate preparation of monthly vehicle and fuel consumption reports
- Always ensure the vehicle insurance and licenses are valid before driving any vehicle
- Alert line manager when service and maintenance schedules are due
- Clean the vehicle inside and outside as and when necessary/ keep your vehicle clean externally and internally at all the times
- Check that items mentioned in the logbook are in the vehicle before leaving
- Perform daily vehicle pre–departure checks to include fuel, engine oil, coolant, lights, tyres, horn, tools and equipment, brakes, windows and mirrors, etc.
- When a field trip is planned, the driver has to inspect and prepare the vehicle the day before leaving and be ready for scheduled departure time
- The driver has also to prepare additional materials according to trip needs (for example, additional fuel tank, stickers, flag, medical and food kits, additional spare tyres)
- Conduct daily, weekly and monthly vehicle check
- Behave in a professional manner at all the times with the understanding that the public associates your behaviour with Malaria Consortium
- Ensures the official vehicles are safely parked within the office environment and approved sites at all times
Security, communication and miscellaneous duties (10%):
- Ensure the vehicle radio communication is in good working condition
- Maintain regular radio communication with the base station while travelling away from the base. Radios should be switched on for communications at all times
- Observe and ensure adherence with security guidelines in the programme area of operation
- Assist Logistics Officer and colleagues in gathering security information analysis especially pertaining to routes to be travelled. To advise the logistician on the security of such routes and whether Malaria Consortium vehicle should travel or not on a given route
- Promptly report all relevant security incidents/concerns to the Logistics Officer
- Carry out other delegated tasks using Malaria Consortium vehicles. Theses may range from mail delivery, payment of bills, picking or dropping of staff or visitors and other similar tasks
- Organise the assigned task in the most efficient and effective manner, so as to minimize vehicle use (fuel consumption, wear and tear)
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the Logistics Officer and any senior staff
- Follow Malaria Consortium’s security protocol at all times
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum Qualification of O' Level Certificate
- Fluent in English
- Valid driving licence
- Previous experience working as a driver
- Three years' driving experience.
Work-based skills and competencies:
- Honest, hardworking and pleasant personality with effective interpersonal skills
LEVEL A - Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives:
- Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations
- Strong self-management of time and effort
- Checks own work to ensure quality
Analysis and use of information:
LEVEL A - Gathers information and identifies problems effectively:
- Interprets basic written information
- Attentive to detail
- Follows guidelines to identify issues
- Recognises problems within their remit
- Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL A - Listens and clearly presents information:
- Actively listens and pays attention
- Presents information and facts in a logical way
- Shares information willingly and on a timely basis
- Communicates honestly, respectfully and sensitively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL A - Is a good and effective team player:
- Knows who their customers are and their requirements
- Respects and listens to different views/ opinions
- Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL A - Open to learning and responds positively to feedback:
- Willingness to manage own development and performance
- Builds capacity of colleagues by sharing knowledge (induction) and acting as induction ‘buddy’ when asked
- Open to learning new things
- Responds positively to feedback from others
- Identifies mistakes and takes positive steps to improve
LEVEL B - Remains professional under external pressure:
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes/ mistakes
Living the values:
LEVEL A - Demonstrates Malaria Consortium values:
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty and fairness in dealing with colleagues and stakeholders
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
- Treats all people with respect
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
LEVEL A - Manages own workload effectively:
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives.
N1,017,450 (Basic Salary).
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click Here For More Information (PDF)