The U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position below:
FAC Janitor/Gardener Supervisor
Announcement Number: Abuja-2018-062AR
Series/Grade: 1310/ FSN-06 / FS-08
Duration of Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
- The incumbent supervises work and performance of a workforce of 7 gardeners and 22 janitors in cleaning and maintaining the U.S. Embassy Compound
- S/he prioritizes and assigns work, gives instructions and provides training to janitors and gardeners to ensure that all tasks are completed satisfactorily
- The incumbent reports directly to the Senior Electrical Engineer.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School Education is required.
- Four (4) years’ experience in both janitorial and landscaping/gardening services, which includes two (2) years of supervisory experience is required.
- Must be familiar with the theories and practices of landscaping and janitorial services
- Must be familiar with how to organize and plan the tasks of a multi-talented work force.
- Language: English Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to use web-based systems for work orders and requests, keyboard and numerical skills are required
- Must be capable of training or instructing subordinates and supervise work independently
- Must be able to perform heavy physical work, as well as ability to safely use all gardening and janitorial tools, equipment and supplies are required
- Must be able to read, understand, adhere to and ensure compliance with product and equipment instructions, follow established standard work procedures, safety and health policies and procedures.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights.
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN4,675,429 / USD 32,378.
Method of Application
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit their Applications with the required documentation listed below:
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS - 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC and other Certificates and Licenses
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click Here to Download Job Description (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email. Please provide a valid email address and be sure to check your email regularly during this recruitment process.
- Who May Apply: All Interested / All Sources. FS-5/5 is USD 51,007 / LE is NGN 11,335,349. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.