If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new TV, radio and digital content for audiences in Africa. The new investment by the BBC World Service in Africa aims to increase its reach and impact among audiences by creating Africa-focused content to be delivered by our growing network of broadcast partners across the continent.
Shoot Edit, Near News
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/30833
Grade: Local terms and conditions
Reports to: BBC Africa Regional Deployments Editor
- To provide high-quality and creative filming from the field, edit video and feed the material back to base. Working closely with a Reporter, you will be responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment. You will visually shape ideas for BBC Africa and the whole range of BBC Near News multimedia content as well as contribute your own story ideas.
- Offering creative ideas on how to film and illustrate news stories and features.
- Filming and sending video to base on breaking news stories
- Shooting and editing complete news and feature packages
- Recording presenter links and pieces to camera in creative ways and to edit full programmes.
- Working closely with reporters to develop scripts and occasionally writing material.
- Working abroad and in hostile environments
It is vital that you have excellent command of spoken and written English, Hausa and/or another African language is desirable.
- Shooting video of the highest quality for either live transmission or recording, providing a representative visual and audio account of events. This will include camerawork, sound work and lighting in the field and where required, at base.
- Contributing original ideas to improve the visual and journalistic content of the story and being aware of the different styles and formats.
- Selecting, preparing and editing material for broadcast and meeting strict transmission deadlines.
- Field producing including research, writing and production as required.
- Setting up and coordinating on-site facilities to meet programme needs, including leading teams e.g. on multiple camera shoots.
- On occasion, undertaking interviews and some journalistic duties on location in both recorded and live situations.
- Responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment, often on their own. Driving is a significant and regular part of this role.
- Liaising effectively and establishing good relationships with all other contacts both outside and within the BBC.
- Maintaining professional standards of accuracy and impartiality and fair dealing in line with BBC guidelines.
- Contributing to the development of operational procedures and maximise the use of existing and new technology.
- Operating within the BBC’s Safety and Editorial policy guidelines. At all times maintaining professional journalistic, ethical and technical standards.
Skills, Knowledge And Experience Required
- A full command of written and spoken English and Hausa is essential. Knowledge of an additional Nigerian language would be desirable.
- Proven experience/ability in long-form single camera programme making.
- Familiarity/competence in a range of camera types and shooting formats. Camera types to include Sony FS5 or FS7 (or similar) shooting S-Log.
- Considerable experience/ability in a wide range of lighting techniques and a thorough knowledge of lighting equipment.
- Thorough understanding of location sound recording.
- Candidates will have relevant experience in a News broadcasting environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork / lighting / editing / location facilities). They will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and proven commitment to News.
- Proven knowledge of issues and stories relevant to African audiences
- Experience of filming, editing and packaging content for TV and radio
- Must have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, demonstrating a well-developed sense of visual awareness and a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload, react positively to situations at short notice and plan ahead.
- Excellent digital skills with track record of researching and discovering stories and after appropriate training use PNG, Quickfire and other newsgathering systems.
- Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues across BBC News and with organisations outside the BBC. Exercise diplomacy with people where necessary.
- Values variety and individual differences and help create a culture, environment and practices which respect and value differences.
- Demonstrable editorial awareness and judgment combined with a thorough understanding of the editorial aims and policies of the BBC.
The successful candidate will be required to travel at short notice and may be needed to work across Africa, sometimes for several days and may be asked to work in hostile environments.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement: Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC's distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
- Creative thinking: Translates news and current affairs into high quality programming through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media. Has imaginative ideas of different story treatments and ideas.
- Managing relationships and team working: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people both internally and externally to the BBC. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- Communication: The ability to get one's message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing Others: Presents sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, including influencing the agenda of targeted outlets.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click here for more Information (Pdf)