The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new TV, radio and digital content for audiences in Africa. The new investment by the BBC World Service in Africa aims to increase its reach and impact among audiences by creating Africa-focused content to be delivered by our growing network of broadcast partners across the continent.
Journalist (Events Producer)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/29692
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed Term - Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News - W2020 - Africa
Department: BBC Africa TV
Contract: 12 month Attachment or Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Head of Partnerships
- We are looking for a Broadcast Journalist with excellent spoken and written English to join the team and contribute to the planning and delivery of content for outreach and training events and supporting the delivery of formal development schemes including mentoring to partners.
- Training will be given but you need to demonstrate that you are an experienced journalist who can engage with internal and external partners to create impactful experiences for audiences which work with, and extend the life of our broadcast output.
- The primary function of the role will be to implement the training and legacy strategy for productive, sustainable and mutually beneficial relationships with media organisations, journalists and academic institutions in Lagos.
- The Producer will be a self-starter and liaise closely with the local and international teams contributing to and producing Africa TV content - including sports, childrens, news review, business, women’s and health.
- You will need to have excellent knowledge of the media environment in Lagos and an understanding of what opportunities for external impact there are from the work of the Africa TV teams.
- You will be expected to script, write, make packages for external training and engagement purposes.
- To suggest and develop ideas for engagement and outreach initiatives which extend the audience for our work in Africa with media organisations, training institutions and other relevant partners
- To produce accurate, informed and interesting learning and engagement experiences, and to achieve high impact engagement and interaction with partners
- To contribute to the delivery of training and development initiatives to further support the growth of local media through on-the-job training, upskilling, co-productions and mentoring
- To work collaboratively with Business Development to pursue collaborative training opportunities with partners
- To brief and provide information to reporters, producers and editorial teams on stories, contributors and events.
- To explore areas for collaboration with other internal training and mentoring schemes
- To plan for and execute events including all the logistical and practical requirements and internal liaisons required to comply with health and safety as well as editorial needs.
- To work with and to maintain clear and regular communication with the Planning Producers of the African services together with the Deployments Editors in Africa
- After training, to be able to use a range of digital equipment and technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes and content which tells the story of our training and legacy work in the region
- To ensure that BBC Editorial values and guidelines and all relevant legal and copyright requirements are met, asking for the support of managers in cases of difficulty or doubt.
- To maintain a clear method for evaluating the impact and success of the outreach, mentoring and training programmes delivered including use of digital films and stories of change.
Required Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Fluent command of written and spoken English and ability to communicate in Hausa/Igbo/Yoruba/
- Editorial judgement and organisational excellence.
- Demonstrable multi-media production experience
- Good contacts with potential local partners including media training institutes and schools
- Experience in events and risk management and mitigation
- Innovative ideas and initiative to contribute to editorial strategies, planning and the development of the outreach, training and mentoring objectives
- Understanding of the Nigeria media environment and role the BBC can play in developing this
- A passion for African news, culture and current affairs
- Knowledge and understanding of digital platforms across Africa.
- Ability to use a range of multimedia equipment and relevant software.
- The ability to manage own time and design own work plans and deliverables. The ability to work with team members across different sites and remotely.
- Ability to manage plans within a budget and in a timely fashion.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Decision Making - is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking - is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation - is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Leadership - ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it irrespective of circumstances.
- Resilience - can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading - ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication - the ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Talent Management - is able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Managing relationships - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Self Development - is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
Method of Application
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC career website on wscareerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply