Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
Since 1999, HKI has supported programs in the area of neglected tropical disease control, nutrition and eye health. Currently Helen Keller International (HKI) works in 12 states of the federation through its partnership with state governments and stakeholders at various levels.
Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust
HKI is part of a consortium led by Sightsavers, on behalf of the International Coalition for Trachoma Control (ICTC), in response to The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust’s (QEDJT) invitation to scale up trachoma interventions in a number of selected countries in the Commonwealth and contribute towards the global elimination goal of blinding trachoma by 2020. In Nigeria, Katsina State is the focal state for implementation of the project, which intends to carry out 15,700 trichiasis surgeries over 5 years.
UNITED - Integrated Control of NTDs in Northern Nigeria
UNITED, a consortium of key implementing partners consisting of Sightsavers, Christian Blind Mission (CBM), Helen Keller International (HKI), MITOSATH and The Carter Centre in Nigeria are international and national leaders in the delivery of integrated NTD programmes. The global gap in NTD treatments is estimated at around 80 per cent, of which Nigeria has the largest deficit of untreated, at-risk individuals in Africa - around 100 million. UNITED is a four-year project funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) which aims to deliver 111.3 million treatments, reach 13.8 million people with mass drug administration (MDA) by 2016 and save 114,900 Disability-Adjusted Life years over the life of the project.
A first degree in statistics, mathematics or public health or science related field, Minimum of masters degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health or related field, Minimum of 3 – 5 years working as an M&E specialist in a development filed, Ability to analyse data using EPIinfo, SPSS, SAS or similar statistical software and Familiarity with android-based survey collection tools will be an advantage
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, the M&E Specialist is responsible for guiding the overall M&E strategy and implementation of related activities within the Trichiasis surgery and DFID United projects and via partners; plus providing timely and relevant information to project stakeholders. This entails close communication with all involved in M&E design and coordination: core project and partner M&E staff; representatives from primary stakeholder groups; and the project coordinator, external consultants and field staff when appropriate, plus members of external M&E-related missions.
Specific duties include:
• Help revise the project logframe matrix, particularly in the areas of the objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms.
• Develop the overall framework for project M&E, for example, annual project reviews, participatory impact assessments, process monitoring, operations monitoring and lessons-learned workshops.
• Guide the process for identifying and designing the key indicators for each component, to record and report physical progress
• Guide the process for identifying the key performance questions and parameters for monitoring project performance and comparing it to targets. Design the format for such performance reports.
• Design the framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities
• Review the quality of NTD and Trachoma data in the project area, the methods of collecting it and the degree to which it will provide good baseline statistics for impact evaluation.
• Review existing approaches and management information systems and agree on any required changes, support and resources.
• Collaborate with staff on qualitative monitoring to provide relevant information for ongoing evaluation of project activities, effects and impacts.
• Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations might be needed.
• In collaboration with the accountant, provide the Country Manager with management information that she/he may require.
• Check that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum and in a timely fashion in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create such discussion forums to fill any gaps.
• Organise and undertake training with stakeholders, including primary stakeholders, in M&E skills, including participatory aspects.
• Guide staff and implementing partners in preparing their progress reports. Together, analyse these reports in terms of problems and actions needed. Prepare consolidated progress reports for project management to submit to the relevant bodies, in accordance with approved reporting formats and timing.
• Prepare monitoring reports, analyse them for impact evaluation and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation.
• Guide the regular sharing of the outputs of M&E findings with project staff, implementing partners and primary stakeholders.
• Make regular reports to the project team highlighting areas of concern and preparing the documentation for review at meetings.
• Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the Project Coordinator or any other senior officer(s).
? Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
? Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
? Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
? Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet.
? Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
? Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
• Experience in M&E system design;
• Experience in data processing and with computers.
All applicants should submit electronically forwarding the following under listed in attachment to email@example.com
1. A curriculum vitae, which should indicate at minimum applicant’s qualification and dates obtained; previous work experience and dates; age and referees
2. A covering letter
3. Subject of email should be MONITORING AND EVALUATION SPECIALIST
Deadline for submission of application is on Friday, 8th August 2014.
Kindly note that:
1. Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered.
2. Only applications submitted electronically shall be considered.