Country Director at an International Non-Governmental Organisation - Protege Management
Posted on: 22 October, 2019
Deadline: 8 November, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Protege Professionals
Protege Management - Our client, an International Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. Our client works in over 94 countries around the world in providing over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects. It is headquartered in Canada.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
- The Country Director will take the overall responsibility and leadership of the Country Office’s performance, he/she will represents the organisation in the country, guiding the relevant program strategy development and implementation consistent with the organistion international’s global strategy, ensuring effective and timely humanitarian response capacity, leading strategy development, change management, operational planning, and overseeing financial, operations and human resource management, including the safety and security of all Country Office and visiting the organisation staff.
- The Country Director will models and ensures systematic practice of the organisation International values and new ways of working by fostering innovation, helping to build effective teams, coalitions and networks and encouraging on-going staff development to motivate and strengthen the organisation’s resilience in the face of change.
- He/She will promote gender equality and diversity among Country Office staff and in programming.
- The Country Director will be responsible for the host operations in Nigeria. He/she will heads up the country senior management team and has overall responsibility for programme delivery and development.
- Management, operational oversight, coordination and implementation of the organisation joint programmes in Nigeria.
- Support and supervision of nearly 300 national staff and 10 expatriate staff. This includes coaching, ensuring co-ordination between local managers, recruiting and development of staff.
- Develop and expand the programme in a volatile environment.
- Be a driving force in terms of developing the projects within the organisation’s programme objectives.
- In co-ordination with the Regional Director, lead the process of continuously developing strategies programmes to secure the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs).
Finance And Administration:
- Responsible for budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control including compliance with headquarters and donor requirements and ensuring that the necessary systems are in place.
- Responsible for security including development and ensuring adherence to security procedures, monitoring the development in the security situation, developing contingency plans etc.
- Ensure proper and timely financial and narrative reporting in compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement.
- Act as representative for the host country programme in Nigeria towards government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums.
- Proposal writing, including development of budgets and support to the Regional Director in applying for funding.
- Guided by the headquarters Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of host country’s activities.
- Master's Degree in Management Sciences or Public Health Management.
- Minimum of 8 years working experience at an international level with humanitarian international NGOs or operational UN agencies.
- Minimum of 2 years field experience in challenging environments.
- Proven experience in project management, including budget expenditure, donor relations, reporting, proposal writing, staff management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Preferably experience in the areas of small arms and/or community based safety or explosive ordnance disposal programming.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- High degree of computer literacy.
Desired Personal Competencies:
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to build and motivate a team as well as willingness to deal with conflicts up front.
- Political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures.
- Proven ability to function well in a volatile and very restricted environment.
- Strong liaison and communication skills.
- Ability to resist external pressures.
- Innovative and creative thinking.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to other areas in Nigeria. This is a ‘non-family duty station’ and the person must be prepared to live and work in an isolated and unstable security environment with limited recreational and social facilities. Accommodation is provided.
- Contract: 12 months - with good possibilities for extension. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Headquarters Terms of Employment for expatriates. This position is placed at salary category 3. The position offers an R&R benefit, in addition to standard vacation and holiday benefits.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and CV to: email@example.com , copy firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the "Job Title" as subject of your mail.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications should apply together with a CV, in English and marked ”Country Director_PM_Abuja” will be considered.
- Please remember to upload a letter of application and your CV. CV-only applications will not be considered.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Protege ProfessionalsSimilar Jobs
- Sustainability Intern at Centre for Global Solutions and Sustainable Development(CENGSSUD)
- Job Vacancies at Damien Foundation (DFB)
- Administrator at a Christain Faith Based Organization - StreSERT Services Limited
- Programme Manager (ISOLT) at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Finance Assistant at The Civil Society Scaling-Up Nutrition in Nigeria (CS-SUNN)
- MEAL Assistant at ZOA Nigeria
- Logistics Officer at NERI Nigeria
- Consultant - State Operations Coordinating Units at Save the Children Nigeria