About Evidence Action
Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing 'what works' and having impact at scale. We implement cost-effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best-practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money. Our two flagship programs reached over 100 million people this year. One of them, the Deworm the World Initiative, was again selected by GiveWell as one of only four Top Charities on the planet.
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reports to (title): Lead Representative, Nigeria and Director, Finance and Administration - Africa Region
Travel required: Yes, 30% in-country
About Deworm the World Initiative
The Deworm the World Initiative enables governments to eliminate the public health threat of intestinal worms through school-based mass deworming programs. We advocate for school-based deworming to policymakers and provide technical assistance to launch, strengthen and sustain programs targeting all at-risk school-age (and sometimes preschool-age) children. The program is delivered through a multi-tier training and distribution cascade, whereby all levels of government, from national to local, are engaged to ensure treatment of school-age and preschool-age children in all at-risk areas.
In 2016 Evidence Action began supporting the government of Cross River state to launch a school-based deworming program for STH and schistosomiasis as a part of the states’ integrated NTD control programs. In 2017 this support will be extended to Ogun, Oyo and Rivers states, targeting over 5.5 million school age children across four states.
To compile and input financial information to provide reliable data for financial reporting, analysis, and decision making. He/she shall advise the management through the Director of Finance and Administration- Africa Region on the financial position/status of Evidence Action Development Initiative (Nigeria). He/she will facilitate payments to creditors, liase with the fiscal agent, and follow up on program advances held by partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the overall financial portfolio of Evidence Action and follow up of pending grants/transfers
- Formulate, implement and review Evidence Action’s financial budgets vs. actuals so that the Evidence Action maintains effective control over its financial performance.
- Provide accurate financial information / reports on a timely basis for appropriate decision making
- Ensure adherence to the payments procedure for both internal and external service providers
- Manage the operational risks of the Society to minimize exposure of Evidence Action
- Facilitate procurement of goods and services on time in full and at least cost through payment preparation
- Oversee the Fund’s compliance of all the government and donor financial management requirements
- Process and coordinate the accounts payables as outlined in the Evidence Action policies.
- Provide operational support to staff on expenditure management to include short term action plans and expenditure scheduling.
- Assist in the maintenance of up-to-date and accurate cash book summaries and cheque registers
- Check and recommend payments - verify payment vouchers in accordance with laid down rules and principles and determine aggregate expenditure
- Assist the Finance and accounting Manager in control of expenditure and below- the- line (BTL) accounts.
- Process, approve and code expenditure (claims, imp rest, surrenders, field office returns and purchase requisitions) and internal recoveries in accordance with budgets.
- Prepare monthly accountancy reports to the Finance and accounting Manager on expenditure and cash management and review monthly expenditure statements with managers
- Participate in internal audits as scheduled and provide auditors with accounting documents as requested and provide explanations on audit queries.
Financial control and Reporting (compliance):
- Update the Asset Register regularly;
- Supervise and appraise assigned assistants periodically and annually.
- Preparation of final accounts with Director, Finance and Administration-Africa Region;
- Ensure correct and timely transactions approvals in the system hence continuously updated ledger accounts;
- Prepare accurate and timely periodic financial returns for Government and Development Partners;
- Ensure timely and accurate supply of information on financial matters for management decision making;
- Supervise preparation of journal entries and initial them before passing on to seniors for signatures;
- Update all accounts and balance them with the General Ledger
- Participate in the preparation of periodic accounts (especially the annual fund accountability statements) for internal and external auditors
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Director, Finance and Administration-Africa Region;
- Receive cash and cheques paid in the name of Evidence Action.
- Examine every cheque received to ascertain that it is genuine and properly drawn
- Issue receipts for cash or cheque received and sign them
- Bank all the day’s receipts intact
- Safely lock up cash or cheques in the safe pending banking the following day
- Secure a properly stamped and signed duplicate banking slip from the bank cashier to whom cheques and cash are deposited
- Prepare payment vouchers for each payment and get them signed by the right signatories
- Pay out cash and cheques to the right beneficiaries and against properly signed vouchers
- Settle all approved payments promptly
- Properly count cash when receiving and making payments, to avoid shortages and/or excesses
- Maintain a daily record of receipts and payments for all cash and cheques received and paid out, and ensure that the difference between total receipts and total payments is equal to cash on hand
- Manage petty cash in strict adherence between total receipts and total payments is equal to cash on hand
- Manage petty cash in strict adherence to financial regulations pertaining to petty cash management
- Ensure proper filing of the vouchers and safe custody of the cheques and the counterfoils.
- Secure supporting documents or authority to back all expenditure vouchers
- Secure appropriate signatures on all vouchers
- Post the vouchers and produce correct balances to each account and to every control account
- Periodically extract the books and balance them with the respective control records
- Periodically compile a Trial Balance, and Income and Expenditure Statement and a Statement of Financial Position;
- File all accounting vouchers properly , and keep safe custody of cheque books and their counterfoils
Key Performance Indicators
- Ensuring timely and accurate financial data is available for decision making
- Ensuring all payments made are well supported, compliant to the organization’s policies and procedures and with donor guidelines.
- Providing periodic financial reports as needed by management.
- Ensuring clean annual and program audits.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting with Full Accounting qualification ACCA or its equivalent
- Preferably post graduate qualification in the same field
- Minimum of 3 years as a qualified accountant in the Not for Profit sector.
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and statutory Regulations
- Strong leadership & managerial skills
- Knowledge of modern accounting, office filing system;
- Initiative and self-motivation; planning, scheduling and organizing skills
- Preferably 5 years general management experience in the areas of Finance and Administration, reflecting the key duties of this role in the Not for Profit sector
- This position may require working on evening & weekends as needed.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Evidence Action career website on evidenceaction.bamboohr.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale