The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Contract period: 12month
Description In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Motor Vehicle & Generator Mechanic in Abuja, Nigeria. The Motor Vehicle & Generator Mechanic reports to the Logistics Manager.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Promote and share ideas for improvement
- Perform according to the work and development plan
- Mechanical and preventive & curative maintenance of Motor Vehicles, Motor bikes and Generators.
- Supervise and responsible for NRC Mechanical workshop
- Carrying out a detailed inspection per vehicles, Motorbikes, generators, and identify as much as possible all faults, dents and defects on it.
- Raise a vehicle check form and Maintenance Request Form for all such identified faults/dents with precise information on work to be done.
- Ensuring timely and efficient service /maintenance work is carried out on all vehicles.
- Identify the possible causes of such defects/faults and coming up with reduction measures that can be observed by the concerned users.
- Refer all major jobs to commercial vendors through the supervisor while ensuring that follow up measures are employed so that such service is done accurately and as per job card/check form and OPO (Official Purchase orders)
- Upon receiving vehicles from commercial vendors, ensure thorough inspections are done to such vehicles and confirm through a Goods Received Note that work is done properly and as per request.
- Ensuring that old spares replaced are returned to the workshop that is as a control measure while ensuring that such spares are properly accounted for through a neat booking system.
- Assisting the Logistics Manager in identifying any unreported accident/incidents by making inspections to all vehicles.
- Carry out spot checks to make sure the auxiliary equipment/accessories (e.g. spare tyre(s), tool kit, first aid kit) assigned to each vehicle are present and in good condition. Advise when replacements need to be done.
- Vehicle maintenance schedules are adhered to and any irregularities or defects, including minor ones, are reported promptly to your supervisor following up to ensure corrective action is promptly taken.
- All accidents and traffic violations are reported promptly and in detail, both verbally and in writing, to the Logistics Manager.
- An accurate account of vehicle movement is recorded in vehicle log sheet.
- All licenses relating to the vehicle are up to date and clearly displayed.
- Experience from working as service support staff in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Qualified Motor Mechanic
- SSCE of WASSCE or NECO Educational Qualification is required
- Valid Driver’s License
- Fluency in English
- At least 5 years of experience working as a Motor Mechanic for a reputable organisation
- Mechanical Knowledge of generators
- Knowledge of preventive and maintenance measures for vehicles
- Ability to work long hours and under pressure
- Knowledge of the Vehicle and Traffic regulations in Nigeria
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their Application letter and updated CV's to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org The title of the position (Motor Vehicle & Generator Mechanic - Abuja) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
Candidates can also submit their applications and CV’s in a sealed envelope with the position clearly written on the envelope at the NRC office in Abuja at:
Plot 69 First Avenue,
Gwarimpa Opp Margaret Ekpo Close,
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Any application received after the deadline will not be considered.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale