Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
CRS is implementing a cassava program in Benue state. The program which is titled ‘Building an Economically Sustainable Cassava Seed System’ is aimed at increasing farmers’ access to quality cassava planting materials of new and improved varieties. The program started in late 2015 and will be ending in 201Under the program, CRS will be working with key partners such as the National Agricultural Seed Council, Agricultural Development Project, National Roots Crops Research Institute, International Institute for Tropical Agriculture, CGIAR program on Roots, Tuber and Banana and others to support seed entrepreneurs in producing quality cassava planting materials of new and improved varieties for farmers. Specifically, CRS will identify, select and provide technical assistance to the seed entrepreneurs, ensure field certification and eventual sales of materials to farmers. The project hopes to work with at least 80 seed entrepreneurs, providing quality planting materials to farmers in a timely manner.
The State Program Manager – Agriculture; will be responsible for managing the seed entrepreneurs to achieve the project’s set targets in Benue State within the context of CRS/Nigeria Agricultural Strategies.
- Primary Function:
- Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth, the Program Manager – Agriculture will be responsible for managing the seed entrepreneurs and field level partners to achieve its set targets in Benue State.
- The PM will build the capacity of the project partners’ staff and work closely with them to coordinate the implementation of the project.
- In addition, the PM become familiar with CRS agency wide strategic plan on agriculture/livelihood and gain a better understanding of selected value chains and related services.
- Conduct monitoring visits to partners and provide hands-on support in project implementation including development of regular work-plans and budgeting.
- Ensure project partner use standard quarterly narrative, monthly financial reporting formats and submit their reports in a timely manner.
- Ensure project partners’ advances/liquidations are submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate half year field visits with Finance to ensure adequate support to partners so that advances and liquidations are finalized in a timely manner.
- Support the drafting of comprehensive progress reports (monthly, quarterly and/or annual) in accordance with expectations and requirements.
- Support partners in the use of the project’s M&E system, ensuring its results are analyzed and appropriate changes are incorporated into the project program implementation;
- Provide necessary mentorship/leadership skills to help develop adequate agriculture capacity within project partners.
- Mobilize and document partners’ contributions (in cash and kind) to project development and implementation.
- Update agriculture and food security section of the CRS share point regularly with relevant program documents.
- Work with Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth for Agriculture to ensure targets of projects are met and partners submit regular programmatic and financial reports as required.
- Contribute to periodic programmatic reports and other communications required by donors.
- Contribute to CRS strategic plan to expand the agriculture and food security portfolio.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth for Agriculture, Program Manager for Household Economic Strengthening and Food Security, Finance, Administration, M&E, Audit, Head of Programs, Country Representative, RTA/Agriculture as well as other relevant regional and HQ Technical Staff.
- External: Justice, Peace and Development Commissions of the Catholic Church (JPDCs), other Implementing Partner Organizations (National Root Crop Research Institute – NRCRI, National Agricultural Seeds Council – NASC, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture – IITA, Agricultural Development Program – ADP, Seed Entrepreneurs and Farmer Groups/Organizations), Agro-processors, representatives of other NGOs, Donors, Researchers, and Private Sector.
- Personal/Professional Skills:
- Strong leadership, analytical, planning and research skills
- Well-established skills in proposal design, implementation, M&E, and reporting
- Excellent written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to learn/work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Resourceful, and result-oriented and high performer.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and religious environments.
- Master's degree in Agriculture related-field
- Minimum three years’ program management experience with an NGO including experience in cassava seeds system, cassava value chain and public and private donor relations.
- Ability to work closely with Church partners and commitment to Agency mission.
- Computer proficiency particularly in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet required.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a team structure
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to work with multiple stakeholders successfully and to create linkages.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender responsive programming.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Nigerian nationality.
- Physical Requirements/Environment: Normal conditions akin to office environment, based in Makurdi; willingness and ability to travel within the country.
Method of Application
Applicants should download the application form using this link http://goo.gl/8OOQcp and send with a detailed 3-page resume in a single file word document to NG_HR@global.crs.org on or before COB Monday September 12, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“CRS is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.