If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria - We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group's people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved. To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our values every day.
Job ID: 519390
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Job Function: Technology & Operations
Full/Part Time: Full time
- Assist Unit Head in coordinating, driving and directing effective compliance and operational risk management at the Business Unit level.
- Implement controls within the Business Unit to meet all regulatory and internal requirements
- Ensure proper functioning of day-to-day controls, periodic monitoring activities and timely resolution of risk issues.
Operational Risk (OR) Organization:
- Ensure OR objectives for the year are communicated to and adopted by RPs in their JOs & JDs
- Ensure OR toolkits are embedded within the business (KRI, Phoenix Risk & Loss Module, ORF Optial)
- Disseminate internal policies, regulatory requirements and other OR related communication to the unit in a timely fashion
- Develop / update procedures for compliance and management of operational risk in a timely fashion
- Coordinate and/or undertake periodic self-assessments within the unit
- Undertake periodic OR review assessment on high-risk processes, as required
- Facilitate implementation of OR initiatives for the business unit
- Review OR issues reported by the unit for completeness and accuracy
- Coordinate and consolidate OR issues and loss reporting in Phoenix for prompt escalation to OR Committees
- Ensure significant risks issues (including issues highlighted by Group Internal Audit, external audit, regulators and compliance reviews) are addressed in an adequate and timely fashion
- Source of reference within the business unit in facilitating and promoting the understanding of OR
- Be involved in the risk analysis of a complaint as it could indicate a process-weakness or control breakdown.
- Ensure that all significant OR issues are escalated as required by policy in a timely fashion.
- Double-hat or act as a backup for Head, CMO
- Performance of BKCSA, GKCSA on Optial before due date (if available) and submission of FORC papers promptly to R&C.
- Reviewing of COPMan checks carried out by Cash Operations RP. Exceptions noted to be escalated to Head Cash Operations and R&C.
- Monthly surprise checks using the agreed UORM checklists to ensure adherence.
Money Laundering Prevention (MLP) and Sanction Procedures:
- May act as Unit Money Laundering Prevention Officer
- Assist BMLPO in ensuring appropriate internal controls and procedures for Money
- Laundering are in place, working as intended and documented
- Assist in the investigation of financial crime risks, where appropriate
- Review and evaluate SAR raised by business for escalation to BMLPO/CMLPO
- Source of reference for MLP related issues and interpretation of policy / regulatory requirements
- Be aware of and comply with Group Policy, Local Laws and Regulations relating to the prevention of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing
- Review new/changed regulatory or policy requirements and consult L&C / ORO on application of regulatory requirement (where necessary)
- Work with RPs, BUH and ORO on control measures and monitoring plan within stipulated timeframe
- Review the quality of the business monitoring and work together with the unit reps to increase quality of monitoring
- Follow up on system triggered reminders on overdue monitoring items (review root cause of items falling due)
- Maintain an updated Country user list. Communicate any additions or deletions of users and user access issues with HUSA
- Source of reference for minor Optial system issues
Business Continuity Planning (BCP):
- Coordinating BCP efforts for the Business Units within responsibility
- Review ad hoc (risk based) review reports on level of testing at BCP site
- Review ad hoc (risk based) review reports on adequacy / efficiency of BCP resource
Reviews / Audit:
- Conduct risk-based ad-hoc reviews together with ORM (where necessary)
- Act as a coordinator for internal/external auditors and compliance reviewers at the business unit level
- Review report on OR/compliance findings and work together with the business unit to close gaps identified.
- Act as a coordinator in the Business Unit in facilitating and promoting understanding and management of OR by identify training needs on Compliance and OR
- Schedule training calendar according to theme [eKYC, MLP, OR, Compliance, Optial, Phoenix etc]
- Coordinate training effort with bank-wide training plan (where necessary)
- Conduct OR training either as lead or co-facilitator
- Conduct risk awareness training for new policies, procedures and related issues.
- Source for and prepare OR training programmes and materials and customize according to business needs
MIS & Regulatory Reporting:
- Compute and compile for submission daily, weekly and monthly reports of business volumes, KPI and KRI.
- Compile for submission all metrics and ad hoc requests from Group and other major stakeholders.
- Daily review of all open items in Nostro and Suspense accounts with a view to ensuring there are no over-aged items.
- Escalation of all Level 2 and 3 items to the Unit Head.
- Monthly proof of account submission to finance via FCS.
Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of a second class Degree in any relevant course.
- Minimum 8 years banking experience in operations.
- Sound knowledge of basic banking operations.
- Understanding of CBN Forex regulations relating to Trade and Exchange.
- Sound knowledge of SCB payment and collection policies.
- Supervisory skills.
- Good communication and PC skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online on Standard Chartered Bank website