Job Vacancy at Oxfam Nigeria
Posted on: 7 June, 2016
Deadline: 18 June, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Oxfam
Oxfam is a confederation of 18 affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty by working with others to find lasting solutions to injustice and suffering. In Nigeria Oxfam saves lives by providing humanitarian response, builds sustainable livelihoods, transforms attitudes about women’s rights and promotes more active citizens, and a more accountable state and private sector adopting a rights based approach.
- Oxfam seeks a Senior Gender Officer - Legal & Economic Justice for the four year EU supported pro-resilience action (PRO-ACT) aiming at building food security and resilience in Kebbi and Adamawa in Northern Nigeria.
- The program will improve the food security, nutrition and resilience of vulnerable groups in 7 LGAs in the two States. It will:
- Deliver rapid improvement in livelihoods and preparedness toward risks for vulnerable populations and communities including women and youth;
- Strengthen resilience, food security and natural resource utilisation of small holder farming communities;
- Improve strategic linkages for food security and support to local market systems and;
- Improve response capacity of government towards social protection, early warning systems and strengthen local frameworks towards resilience building.
- The Senior Gender Officer- Legal &Economic Justice in his/her technical advisory role will work with our local partners, donors and Government institutiosn to translate our four gender priorities into specific PROACT gender outcomes for women:
- Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment whereby women participating in PROACT benefit from decent work, gain power in markets, participate in economic decision-making and will influence and benefit from improved economic systems and social norms that do not discriminate against them;
- Fighting violence against women and girls such that women participating in PROACT live free from all forms of violence through changes in social norms, rules, institutions and laws including strategic litigation;
- Promoting women’s participation and transformative leadership where women participating in PROACT will gain individual and collective power to end poverty and challenge inequalities and will benefit from an enabling environment that promotes and sustains women's participation and leadership;
- Ensuring gender mainstreaming into all strands of our work so that Gender/Women’s rights considerations and related actions are integrated into all programmes.
- If you believe you have the passion, skills and leadership experience to drive PROACT gender, protection and women leadership components and fulfil this vital and challenging position that will enhance the lives of vulnerable women and men in Adamawa and Kebbi States, we’d love to hear from you.
- Lead the implementation of Oxfam GB’s Gender Justice framework
- Provide expert advice on the implementation of, facilitate and monitor the implementation of four Gender priorities (mainstreaming and standalone projects) by Oxfam GB and its partners in Adamawa and Kebbi States
- Work with consultants establishing the baseline to develop a high quality gender analysis to identify relevant gender gaps related to the four gender priorities for Adamawa and Kebbi and support the consolidation of the gender analysis in the two States.
- Work with consultants, partners and the Livelihoods & and Private Sector Program
- Manager and the MEL&SA coordinator to revise and adapt a baseline tool for self - organizational assessment of implementing partners in the two states.
- In liaison with the MEL&SA Coordinators and Officers, Livelihood State Coordinators and Oxfam partners, develop the necessary tools for project monitoring review and impact assessment
- Monitor and collect information on the impact of socio-economic political and cultural trends on gender equity and equality.
- Promote full and equal participation of women in all aspects of our work at field level as well as among staff
- To undertake staff, partner and community Gender Justice needs assessment.
- Train Oxfam and partners’ staff using Oxfam’s gender justice framework training tool and development of gender action plans for field based staff
- Provide technical support, and organise training of partners and communities across the 7 LGAs in Adamawa and Kebbi in consultation with Livelihoods State Coordinators, the MEL&SA Coordinator and Officers and other relevant stakeholders
- Promote gender transformative approaches such as MENCARE to reduce care burden on women
- Initiate research on emerging issues on women’s rights to guide advocacy and campaigns
- Mainstream specific gender objective into all programme proposals and monitor the implementation and reporting of the activities
- Identify and maintain details of technical support available from other local stakeholders that can be harnessed to support Oxfam’s and partners programme activities
- Facilitate women’s access to land and credit
- Participate in the mobilization, identification, registration of vulnerable men and women requiring assistance taking into account a gendered perspective.
- Write proposals on women’s rights to fundraise for programme activities.
- Produce reports on PROACT gender, protection and women leadership components.
- Prepare annual work plan and ensure adherence to the program work plan, prepare revisions of the work plan, if required
- Prepare periodic progress reports on the women’s rights program.
- Represent the team in gender National, Regional and International gender meetings, conferences and workshops
- Represent Oxfam at Gender working group meetings as required
- Networking with other Stakeholders (NGOs, Government ministries and community structures) involved in gender activities and represent Oxfam GB in sectoral meetings in our areas of operation
- Develops and maintains partnerships.
- Together with the Oxford based learning officer, and Oxfam Gender justice staff to develop a case study for publication and common sharing and learning.
- Assists with duties assigned by the Line Manager when required
Skills and Competence
- Master’s degree in Law, Social Sciences or other relevant disciplines
- Five years experience in NGOs working on gender, women leadership, women economic empowerment, protection and counselling
- An understanding of gender and protection related issues including methodologies for assessment, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in capacity building and training of rural communities on Gender and Protection
- Able to train, support and coordinate field project teams on all gender related activities.
- Able to develop training and promotional materials in conjunction with Gender Experts on gender approaches
- Training in Gender and Development, Lobby and Advocacy will be an advantage
- Must be knowledgeable on participatory research approaches, conducting baseline surveys,
- Demonstrable facilitation skills, policy and advocacy skills on humanitarian crises a distinct advantage.
- Ability to work with local authorities and rural communities including traditional and political leadership
- Good communication skills.
- Previous working experience, particularly at field implementation level, with Oxfam, other INGO or relevant agency.
- Computer / Word-processing skills in aptitude.
- Must have demonstrated capacity to work with and sensitivity to local political and cultural circumstances.
- Ability to work as part of a team but also to provide leadership; ability to delegate.
- Strong networking skills
- Ability to cope with large amounts of work and to work under pressure essential.
- Readiness to travel, sometimes in difficult terrain and under stressful situation
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English; fluency in both Hausa is a distinct advantage.
- Develop monthly and quarterly reports on gender department activities.
- Participate in gender-related events (meeting, workshops, conferences) and network within and outside the country in-order to stay updated about gender related development.
- Post holder report to: Livelihoods and Private Sector program Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: Economic Justice Gender Officer
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Application letter and Curriculum Vitae in English to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the Recruiter
- We highly recommend applying as early as possible before the deadline for the best chance of moving forward.
- This job description is not incorporated into the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussions with the post holder.
- The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate the achievements of the key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review process.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about OxfamSimilar Jobs
- Consultants - Malnutrition Study for LINE Project at Oxfam Nigeria
- Consultants at ActionAid Nigeria
- Logistics, Data Entry and Analysis Officer at the International Medical Corps
- Nurses at Médecins du Monde
- Programme Officer at Apostles in the MarketPlace (AiMP)
- Drivers at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Fresh Jobs at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Epidemiologists/Health Information Management at the World Health Organization (WHO)