The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional grouping with 15 Member States in West Africa (three landlocked and one island) with a population of about 300 million with an annual economic growth rate of around 6%. The ECOWAS Commission is one of the eight Regional Economic Communities supporting the African Union to coordinate the implementation of continental and regional integration and development programmes in the West African region.
- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commission has received financing from the Spanish Cooperation for International Development (AECID) towards the cost of the ECOWAS Project Preparation and Development Unit (PPDU), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
- The consulting services include a detailed industry and market analysis of the Information Communication Technology (ICT) sector within West Africa which will ascertain the nature of the sector in order to identify and make appropriate recommendations for the implementation of Free Roaming in West Africa.
- The West African Telecommunication Regulators Assembly (WATRA) is an international organization with 15 member states and consists of independent National Regulatory Authorities (NRA’s) and departments for regulation of Telecommunications services established by Governments of member states in the ECOWAS subregion and Mauritania. The vision of WATRA is to provide the ECOWAS sub-region with infrastructure of telecommunication I ICT with quality service offerings that meet international standards available to all at affordable prices.
- In line with the above, WATRA, through the ECOWAS Commission is seeking to engage the services of a Consultant (firm) to conduct a feasibility study for the establishment of Regional Free Roaming in the 15 member states. The key objectives of the study are to:
- Conduct a mobile telecommunications industry analysis in West Africa
- Conduct a mobile telecommunications market analysis in West Africa.
- Conduct tariffs survey specifically international tariffs and roaming within and between WATRA member states (West Africa and Mauritania)
- Make recommendations on initiatives to establish Free Roaming areas between WATRA member states (West Africa and Mauritania)
- Establish the implementation action plan.
For the realization of the mission, the firm shall at least:
- Have up to 15 years’ experience in ICT sector specifically in the following:
- Policy and strategy formulation in ICT sector
- Market research
- Technology Development
- Finance and accounts
- Market research and marketing Project management and project implementation
- Have carried out similar assignment for an international organisation. (A past project experience in the sub region will be an advantage);
- Have a qualified team of key staff (Minimum of a Master Degree) with at least 10 working years experiences in this matters
- Have the capacity to produce and provide the reports in English and French;
- Provide proven experience in telecommunications business, pricing, tariffs, interconnection, international tariffs
- The selection procedure will be based on Quality and Cost Based Selection method (QCBS) in accordance with the ECOWAS Tender Code. ECOWAS Commission is under no obligation to shortlist any Consultant who expresses interest.
- A shortlist of six (6) firms which present the best profiles shall be drawn up after the expression of interest.,
- The firms that are part of an international network are to submit one expression of interest.
The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible Consultants (Firm) to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Consultants (Firm) must provide information showing that they are qualified to perform the services:
- List of staff and expertise of the Consultants for the mission; The Consultant should have on its team, members with a knowledge of any of the three (3) official languages;
- Evidence of verifiable technical references similar to this mission: list of previous clients and contacts for this type of mission stating the year and the cost of the mission;
- The Office Address (location, contact, BR Telephone, Fax, email).
The attention of interested Consultants (Firm) is drawn to Article 87 of the ECOWAS Tender Code (“Infringements by Candidates, Bidders and Awardees”), setting forth corrupt or fraudulent practices in competing for or executing a contract. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per Article 17. (h) of the ECOWAS Tender Code.
Method of Application
Applicants may wish to apply as a consortium to enhance their profile and chance of being qualified. Expression of Interest must be delivered in sealed envelope and clearly marked "Recruitment of a Consultancy Firm for the Feasibility Study for Regional Free Roaming in West Africa", Do not open except in the presence of the Tender Committee" to the address below:
The ECOWAS Tender Box.
The Office of the Commissioner,
General Administration & Conference,
5th Floor ECOWAS Commission,
101 Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P. M. B. 401,
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday from 9.00 am GMT+1 to 5.00 pm (GMT+1):
Directorate of General Administration,
Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
P M. B. 401,
Or By E-mail to this following address: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com