Career at The Population Council
Posted on: 17 March, 2016
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Population Council
The Population Council is an international, non-profit, non-governmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and help achieve a humane, equitable and sustainable balance between people and resources. The Council’s major program areas ace HIV&AIDS, Reproductive Health and Poverty, Gender, and Youth. The Council conducts biomedical, social science and public health research and helps build research capacities in developing countries. The Population Council works in collaboration with a broad range of Nigerian institutions.
- Population Council (PC) Nigeria is expanding its maternal and newborn health portfolio. Currently the focus is on two major projects on prevention and treatment of preeclampsia and eclampsia (PE/E) and research around barriers to fistula repair.
- Ending Eclampsia is a five year cooperative agreement awarded by USAID which seeks to expand access to quality under-utilized interventions and commodities for the prevention and treatment of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia (PE/E).
- The project focuses on strengthening and integrating health systems to more effectively provide services at scale; improve women’s access to services and health outcomes.
- The Council is also a partner on the Fistula Care Plus project managed by EngenderHealth. Following the completion of formative research in Nigeria, an implementation research study seeks to fully understand how various forms of barriers militating against women with obstetric fistulas can be modified or removed entirely through innovative service delivery models.
- Specifically, the project will target lack of awareness and difficulties around transportation at the community level through utilizing a mobile screening system, Interactive Voice Platform (IVP) and voucher systems.
- The research will also work closely with health care providers at none-fistula repair centers to improve their fistula identification and counseling skills for eventual referral to fistula-designated centers. The project will take place in Ebonyi and Katsina states.
- The position requires strong research, analytical, and oral and written communication skills; substantial knowledge of MNH/RH issues; and experience building capacity on OR/implementation science (IS).
- The Senior Research Analyst will provide technical support on maternal and newborn health research activities, working closely with the Principal and co- Investigators and the study Coordinator to implement the research activities related to the above mentioned interventions.
- He/she would take the lead in developing the various data capturing tools, field-testing and data collection process.
- He/she will develop the data analysis plan and conduct appropriate data analysis, and participate actively in knowledge generation and utilization efforts, both locally and internationally.
Under the supervision of the Director, Reproductive Health Program, the Research Data Analyst will undertake (but not limited to) the following key tasks/requirements:
- Lead data collection, entry, cleaning and analysis including conducting descriptive, bi-variate and multivariate analysis
- Lead in the development and revision of survey instruments/questionnaires, field-testing and validation
- Support listing and mapping exercises in the target communities, capture and analyze same with geographic mapping software
- Assist in the retrieval, storage and analysis of secondary data such as the DHS, Education data and other data that may be available for improving the wellbeing of women with obstetric fistula in Nigeria
- Draft reports, disseminate research materials, proposal writing, presentations and other research uptake activities and other tasks as required.
- Provide technical support for program monitoring and evaluation, including the implementation of M&E systems (data collection, data management and documentation, and results reporting)
- Support in the training of staff, partners, and consultants when applicable
- Prepare tables, charts and figures and draft, review and edit documents prepared for internal and external use
- Assist with other tasks related to research projects as required.
- Represent the Council to donors, partners, policy makers, NGOs, private sector institutions, universities, and government institutions, and through participation in stakeholders' meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences.
- PhD (preferred) or Master's degree with 5 years’ work experience in research and evaluation of developmental programs, or Bachelors’ degree with 5-8 years work experience in statistics, economics, demography or related social or natural sciences.
- Proficient in the use of analytical software packages like SPSS or STATA and Qualitative research instruments including Nvvio.
- Significant experience with both qualitative and quantitative research
- Experience with longitudinal survey is very important and experience with implementing a tracking system within the context of a longitudinal survey is highly desirable
- Energetic, positive, fast learner with the ability to meet tight deadlines and willing to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent English skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently and in a team with demonstrated working style that includes initiative, teamwork spirit and personal integrity and flexibility.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and to work effectively with other partners
- Willingness to travel to Population Council research sites in Ebonyi and Katsina states.
- Hausa language proficiency is a plus. One of more other languages also preferred
Method of Application
Interested applicantsfor this position should visit Population Council Career Page . Nigerian national preferred.
The Population Council is an equal opportunity employer.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Population CouncilSimilar Jobs
- Human Resource Manager at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Latest Job Opening at Oxfam
- Fresh Jobs at Action Against Hunger | ACF International
- Job Vacancy at Adam Smith International
- Project Manager at Hope for HIV/AIDS
- Job Vacancy at The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Fresh Vacancy at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Graduate Copy Editors at Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION)