Job Title: Head, Department of Strategic Information
Our Institute is a leading provider of treatment, care and support for people living with HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria and other infectious diseases with headquarters in Abuja and Regional offices in Benin, Jos, Kano and the Federal Capital Territory. We require competent and result-oriented candidates to fill the position above.
Provide strategic leadership and coordination for Strategic Information activities and staff at the Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria through effective supervision of staff and effective project management to meet program targets. Implement and oversee best practices in program-level data and individual patient data collection, data management, and data reporting at the health facility-level, regional-level, and at national-level. Support the Government of Nigeria Strategic Information activities at all levels.
- Medical degree – MD, MBBS or BMChB. In addition:
- Doctorate in Public Health, Epidemiology or Statistics relevant disciplines with at least 5 years international work experience developing and implementing monitoring & evaluation systems for an internationally funded project with demonstrated leadership and increasing responsibility is required or
- Master's degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Data Management or Public Health with at least 15 years international work experience developing and implementing monitoring & evaluation systems for an internationally funded project with demonstrated leadership and increasing responsibility is required
- Experience in managing programs involving supervision of data collection and data staff is desirable.
- Experience with HIV/AIDS programs or related health service programs; experience working with HIV/AIDS prevention and/or impact mitigation programs in the West African context is desirable.
- Experience with the PEPFAR SI system highly desirable.
- Experience working with one or more international agency systems, preferably USG or UN agencies is desirable. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation practices and methods acquired through international training and job experience.
- Extensive experience in data collection, data management, program guided data analysis, and experience in the application of strategic information to guide program development and quality improvement.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, verbal skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Must have the ability to obtain, analyze, organize and interpret data and present findings in both oral and written form.
- Advanced knowledge of data and statistical analysis software.
- Excellent communication skills in English, written/verbal and diplomacy. Must be able to prepare precise and accurate reports and to develop and present briefings.
- Excellent leadership, management, and coordination skills.
- Knowledge of the Nigeria/West Africa HIV/AIDS context.
- Solid understanding of PEPFAR policies and procedures, terminology, and programmatic issues.
- Ability to work independently with self-directed priorities.
- Ability to maintain close working relationship with staff and other partners. Evidence of excellent interpersonal, facilitation and team building skills/experience.Ability to motivate staff to meet deadlines. Must be a problem solver with strong attention to detail.
RESPONSIBILITY: Provide technical assistance for sites to:
A. Program Management
- Provide technical direction to ensure that data generated by the SI systems are used for program planning, policy development, advocacy, and program evaluations.
- Guide SI investments to affect overall program sustainability, capacity building, and the delivery of quality services.
- Manage and coordinate SI-related processes required for the development of reports to the PI; oversee the fiscal year and planning year target setting exercises; and provide technical guidance and vision for the SI needs of PEPFAR in Nigeria.
- Develop policies and processes for generation of all summary targets for the various program areas in the COP.
- Evaluate results achieved by implementing partners against their targets and track overall progress in achieving PEPFAR goals as outlined in the Partnership Framework Implementation Plan. As judged necessary, adapt targets to be consistent with appropriated budgets, country constraints, and new opportunities.
- Update IHVN SI guidelines, standards, and manuals to ensure consistency with the latest PEPFAR SI guidelines.
- Ensure that PEPFAR data and indicators meet benchmark data quality standards.
- Provide guidance to GON for national reporting guidelines, standards, and manuals.
- Translate OGAC guidance and address all SI issues, challenges, and policy questions.
- Provide budget management and financial oversightof the department.
- Represent the SI department in IHVN's management team
B. Technical Guidance
- Identify, track and report process, output, outcome, and impact indicators related to program targets as well as strengthening data quality assurance and quality control through improving data collection tools and data reporting mechanisms.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of databases and health management information system.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the development of SI plans and systemsand implementation of routine data quality assessment.
- Provide strategic leadership in the submission of annual and semi-annual PEPAR reports.
- Provide technical input in the generation and submission of Key global indicators for UNGASS reports.
- Contribute to the assessment of national SI systems, drafting of the NNRIMS Operational Plan.
- Provide technical support to NACA / FMoH in building national SI systems.
C. Program Management
- Provide management of the SI Department in IHVN monitoring and tracking of overall progress of program and patient level data.
- Lead the SI Team to prepare monthly, semi-annual, and annual reports to the agency. Ensure the quality and timely collection of PEPFAR Implementing Partners' reports.
- Ensure quality of SI team and project staff at health facilities for result-oriented and accountable monitoring and evaluation.
D. Collaboration with External Partners and other Duties
- Represent IHVN in strategic information at the National level through active participation in technical working groups.
- Serve as member of the National HIV/AIDS SI Technical Working Group and coordinate the SI components of the various technical working groups involving the GON and other stakeholders.
- Serve as the PEPFAR representative to development partner coordinating bodies addressing monitoring and evaluation issues related to HIV/AIDS.
- Negotiate effectively with Government of Nigeria officials responsible for monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS programs.
- Establish and maintain a close relationship with all international development partner representatives and GON officials to ensure consistency and harmony of results reporting and to reach consensus around issues of attribution.
- Enhance SI capacity-building and sustainability through collaboration with donor agencies, host government, and other partners.
- Serve as the point of contact for auditors and program reviewers addressing reporting standards.
- Contribute to proposal writing for studies and grants as part of the senior management team.
- Respond to inquiries and other ad hoc requests.Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Strategic Information, Research & Training and Chief Executive Officer.
Deadline: 18th September, 2012
Method of Application
Application letter and detailed curriculum vitae in Microsoft word format should be forwarded to the Senior Human Resources Officer, through this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates should indicate appropriate positions and preferred locations in their application letter. IHVN is an equal opportunity employer.