Responsible for assembling and installing pipe systems, pipe supports, and hydraulic and pneumatic equipment. Installs pipe for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems.
- Reports to: Project Leader
- Location: Any location within and outside Nigeria where SCSP has project sites.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Ignite torches or start power supplies and strike arcs by touching electrodes to metals being welded, completing electrical circuits.
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notify supervisors.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding.
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion, or expansion of material.
- Examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Check grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometers, calipers, and precision measuring instruments.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment.
- Analyze engineering drawings, blueprints, specifications, sketches, work orders, and material safety data sheets to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- Connect and turn regulator valves to activate and adjust gas flow and pressure so that desired flames are obtained.
- Weld separately or in combination, using aluminium, stainless steel, cast iron, and other alloys
- Determine required equipment and welding methods, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
- Remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers.
- Gouge metals, using the air-arc gouging process.
- Guide and direct flames or electrodes on or across workpieces to straighten, bend, melt, or build up metal.
- Estimate materials needed for production and manufacturing and maintain required stocks of materials.
- Position and secure workpieces, using hoists, cranes, wire, and banding machines or hand tools.
- Develop templates and models for welding projects, using mathematical calculations based on blueprint information.
- Clean or degrease parts, using wire brushes, portable grinders, or chemical baths.
- Repair products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts, using cutting torches, straightening presses, and hand tools.
- Cut, contour, and bevel metal plates and structural shapes to dimensions as specified by blueprints, layouts, work orders, and templates, using powered saws, hand shears, or chipping knives.
- Preheat workpieces prior to welding or bending, using torches or heating furnaces.
- Use fire suppression methods in industrial emergencies.
- Set up and use ladders and scaffolding as necessary to complete work.
- Mix and apply protective coatings to products.
- Operate metal shaping, straightening, and bending machines, such as brakes and shears.
- Dismantle metal assemblies or cut scrap metal, using thermal-cutting equipment such as flame-cutting torches or plasma-arc equipment.
- Operate brazing and soldering equipment.
- Project Lead
- ELV/Gas Team Lead
- Water System Team Lead
This position requires 80% Travel Time.
English is compulsory. Other international or Nigerian languages will be added advantage.
Desired Skills and Experience