Friends for Global Health Initiative in Nigeria (FGHiN), is a fully indigenous Not-for-Profit, Non-Governmental Organization that works in partnership with the Ministries of Health (MoH) in Nigeria to support the implementation of high-quality comprehensive family-focused HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment Services with funding from the US enter5 for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) through The United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) via grant # 5U2GGH000922-03. A key aspect of the program is to build the capacity of the Ministry of Health and associated sub-partner hospitals, at the national and sub-national levels, and indigenous CBO/NGO5 to manage HIV programs, including financial, administrative, program management and technical advisory skills. The organization has employed talented, dynamic individuals with strong clinical backgrounds and public health management expertise to achieve its programmatic objectives.
FGHiN is currently in the 3rd year of a 5-year funded project of implementing a large Comprehensive HIV care and Prevention Project (SUCCESS) in 4 States (Kaduna, Kano, Kogi and Gombe) in line with the revised CDC priorities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Overall Job Function
- Reporting primarily to the FGHiN Chief Technical Officer and secondarily to the Project Principal Investigator (P1), the Laboratory Associate Director will be responsible for overseeing the laboratory component of the project at sites across the 4 implementing states.
- The Laboratory Associate Director will also work closelywith the CDC, Ministry of Health, NACA, the lab sub awardees and relevant stakeholders to ensure that laboratory samples are correctly collected, processed, and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner as well as achieving best practice Quality Management Systems across all supported labs.
- Assist with the revision of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the implementation of all lab related aspects of the SUCCESS project
- Set up a Lab team, train, coordinate and supervise this team of laboratory officers, as needed
- Review the development and implementation of QAIQC procedures for HIV rapid testing, and various test panels supported by the program via Rapid HIV testing, CD4 analysis using PARTEC, Cyfiow, BD FACS Count platforms, PCR machines (for early infant diagnosis and viral load testing - Roche COBAS Ampliprep, TACMAN 48/%) conducted by the laboratory subcontractor in the project
- Review the development and implementation of QAIQC procedures for the collection, processing storage and transportation of other project related lab specimens from supported Labs to HIV special Lab at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria- HIV RNA, and HIV DNA PCR for EID and Viral Load,
- Ensure laboratory specimen data are correctly captured in the HIVCARE2 database and assist with routine data analysis;
- Work closely with the Clinical Services
- Department with the interpretation of laboratory results from the project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline lab procedures and systems and improve quality of clinical care;
- Assist the FGHiN supported teams to develop strategies to ensure timely reporting of results to respective sites for clinical decision making and appropriate interventions;
- Review weekly/fortnightly laboratory reports particularly Viral load and EID results of FGHiN supported sites and assist the Chief Technical
- Officer with preparing regular progress reports;
- Represent FGHIN in discussions with USG lab Technical WG, National stakeholders and assess ways in which national capacity to process samples can be developed and strengthened;
- Liaise with other technical staff in FGHiN Headquarters (HQs), and at supported States.
- Master's Degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technology, Biomedical Sciences or other relevant fields with full and up to date registration with ML Council of Nigeria.
Preferred Experience and Other Skills
- 5+ years of experience managing a clinical or research laboratory with focus on HIV related analysis;
- 3 or more years as a team leader managing other Laboratory staff, particularly in a PEPFAR supported advanced lab.
- Extensive skills and expertise with various PEPFAR supported lab test panels e.g. CD4, (PARTEC & BD FACS; HIV RNAIDNA PCR - ROCHE
- Extensive knowledge and experience in design, implementation and management of laboratory services in HIV programs
- Knowledge/experience of procurement procedures and equipment/supply/stock tracking and inventory
- Experience with lab-related data management systems
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent interpersonal. Management and communication skills.
- May require periodic trips to partner sites, conferences and/or off site meetings within Nigeria or as specified by project fonder (requiring overnight stay of up 5 days or more);
go to method of application »
Summary of Duties
- Reporting primarily to the FGHiN Director, Strategic Information and secondarily to the Chief Technical Officer, the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will be involved in providing technical support in the design, implementation and review of program monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Specifically, the M&E Officer will be responsible for compiling, analyzing and interpreting data from the health facilities in order to track performance of different program activities.
- He/She will also ensure that feedback is provided to all relevant stakeholders regarding the performance of the different facilities and the contribution to the overall performance of the grant.
- The Officer will ensure that data reported meets the dimensions of data quality i.e. reliability, accuracy, timeliness, completeness and integrity.
- In addition, she/he will provide ongoing support to State offices in the various aspects of monitoring and evaluation, including the development of indicators, target setting, data collection, analysis and interpretation of data for use by managers and policy makers for evidence based decision making.
- Support the M&E system for the state offices to ensure that all supported sites, submit regular, structured monitoring reports and to collect, enter and analyze this data to enable FGHiN to report on time to CDC.
- Undertake Data Quality Audits to provide in- depth assessment of data quality reported by the State Offices to HQ and implement action plan in collaboration with State Offices for corrective measures on identified gaps during the Data Quality Audits.
- Conduct On-site Data Verification using standardized tools to provide overall picture/ statement on quality of important programmatic results and develop and implement action plan in collaboration with State Offices for corrective measures on identified gaps during the On-site data verification.
- Participate in evaluation, reviews, survey, surveillance or special studies focusing on the overall performance of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual M&E reports that contain summary data, reviewing overall performance against targets and making overall program recommendations, including best practices identified among the supported sites.
- Participate in the M&E technical working group and other relevant M&E forums focusing on HIV/AIDS.
- Conduct training and capacity building courses on Monitoring & Evaluation and Data Management activities related to FGHiN program areas;
- Supervise the Data Entry to ensure that Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system is fully updated for all the different Program Areas and generate reports from the system.
- Undertake any other function as directed by Director SI, Chief Technical Officer or Chief of Party.
Qualification and Experience
- Degree in Medical Sciences with a strong background in Data Management as a prerequisite
- Additional qualification in epidemiology with focus on data analysis from a PEPFAR affiliated program will be an advantage
- A minimum of four years working experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Experience on monitoring and evaluation in donor funded projects related to HI V/AIDS and TB programs.
- Competent in the use of the Computer (access, excel, word, power point).
Knowledge and Skills
- Sound knowledge of the public health, public policy or social aspects of AIDS and TB
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively with all sectors of society including national and international partners
- Excellent writing skills in report writing, minutes, reports, proposals, memo, speeches, etc.
- Good analytical skills in data processing analysis and its interpretation
- Sound understanding of performance based funding
- Proficiency in office software will be an added advantage.
- May require periodic trips to partner sites, conferences and/ur off site meetings within Nigeria or as specified by project fonder (requiring overnight stay ofup 5 days or more);
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications, using a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) which should include three (3) referees and cover letter to: email@example.com . Please indicate position being applied for in the subject line and do not attach certificates.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Successful candidates will be employees of FGHiN and subject to the local terms and conditions of employment which includes a competitive salary and benefits package.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.