The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The objectives of the Office of the Auditor General is to provide Management with independent and objective appraisals and audit information on financial, operational, administrative and technical activities of the Bank. It comprises 2 divisions: the division responsible for institutional, financial and IT audits and Operations audits division. These two divisions are responsible, each in its area of competence, for ensuring the systems of the internal controls maintained by the Bank are adequate and effective to safeguard its assets, the reliability, accuracy and integrity of management information systems and related policies, plans, procedures and records and their adequacy to effectively accomplish intended objectives.
The Office of the Auditor General shall appraise the economy and efficiency with which resources are employed to meet objectives and recommend improvements as required for achievement of such objectives; ensure compliance with governing Bank agreements, rules, regulations, policies and procedures in order to ascertain that the objectives of the Bank are accomplished, detect and prevent irregularities and abuses by conducting investigations at the request of the President and the Boards of Directors, ensure the implementation of audit recommendations to correct reported internal control weaknesses and/or deficient conditions and advice management of the risks (s) assumed of not taking corrective action on reported findings and recommendations.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, the Principal Internal Auditor:
Plans and conducts audit/investigations of assigned activities or operations relating to the financial, operational and administrative functions of the Bank:
- Reviews functions and activities to determine the nature of operations, procedures, and related internal controls to achieve established objectives;
- Determines the scope, nature and timing of audit activities;
- Designs audit procedures and programs;
- Holds opening conferences to communicate with auditees on issues related to the audits;
- Prepares audit planning memoranda for directors’ approval;
- Determines the adequacy and effectiveness of established internal control to prevent and/or detect errors and irregularities;
- Determines the accuracy of financial information and the other disclosures provided;
- Directs, counsels and instructs audit assistants in the performance of audit assignments and ensure compliance with time schedule;
- Advises management on an ongoing basis, on accounting, reporting, control and compliance issues to prevent costly errors and irregularities;
- Holds exit conference with auditees to discuss audit findings and recommendations.
Prepares audit reports and submits them for the Auditor General ’s approval:
- Expresses opinions on the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the systems, control procedures in place to achieve established objectives and recommend corrective actions to improve operations, enhance internal control and reduce cost;
- Provides audit certification with respect to financial information and other disclosures provided in financial statement of grants and other programs.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and an internationally recognized professional qualification in Accounting/Auditing (e.g. “Expert comptable” /Chartered/Certified Public Accountant designation).
- A minimum of 6 years of auditing experience in an internationally recognized professional accounting firm or an international Financial Institution.
- Sound knowledge and auditing experience of treasury financial instruments and information systems such as SAP/R3 system, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Integrated Audit Approach would be of a comparative advantage.
- Good interpersonal, supervisory, communication and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated writing skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of the Bank standard software: Excel, Word, Power points; MS projects, Access, Visio, etc.
- Proficiency in the use of computer Aided Audit Tools like ACL, PENTANA, etc.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit AfDB's Career Website