International Medical Corps (IMC) is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
IMC has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has field offices in Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri, implementing WASH projects, building the capacity of local health system and communities and ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care for Children under five years of age.
IMC is therefore looking for suitable candidates to fill the position below in its Maiduguri field office:
Slot: 3 Positions
- Under the supervision of WASH Officer, the WASH assistant will participate in hygiene campaigns, participate in house to house hygiene promotion, and prepare written materials and reports on field activities, clearly elaborate adapted messages for beneficiaries, as well as support hygiene promotion and other WASH activities in the communities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the WASH officer, the WASH Assistant will support:
- Selection and training of the hygiene promoters (VCM).
- Collection of bio data for both VCMs and beneficiaries in communities.
- Input beneficiaries’ data into spread sheet in preparation for distribution of NFI kits in communities.
- Train and monitor VCMs on how to conduct hygiene promotion sessions and fill their log sheets properly document topics discussed, advice provided, document issues of concern for IMC follow up action, number of attendees to sessions, etc
- Collection of VCM log sheet on monthly basis and certifying work done by VCMs.
- Identification of the most appropriate messages regarding the target population.
- Organize training sessions and participate in facilitation in IDP camps and host communities.
- Evaluate the necessary material needed for a campaign/activity.
- Mobilize the community on change behavior regarding hygiene practices.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at community level and IDP camps in close coordination with community volunteers
- Actively participate alongside community volunteers in identifying locations/sites for WASH infrastructures (latrines construction/rehabilitation, borehole drilling/rehabilitation, etc) in the beneficiary communities.
- Animate focus group, giving clear messages on good hygiene practice.
- Report the progress of the work to the supervisor
- Report possible problems or conflict during the activities or any other issues that requires IMC follow up/ action
- Conduct household assessments.
- Conduct the distribution of water, hygiene and sanitation items.
- Collection of water sample from household and source and also conduct quality tests using the delaqua KIT
- Write daily reports on VCMs evaluation, water testing and NFI distribution.
- Relating closely with VCMs to identify informal settlements in host communities.
- Relate with M & E in providing accurate data for impact analysis during post distribution survey and also to input into monthly and quarterly reports
- Regular reporting of Hygiene Promotion activities to supervisor/ WASH Officer
- Provide support to other areas of the department as may be required by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or any related field
- Strong communication skills
- Passion for community development work in local communities, with children and vulnerable people
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa language is required
- Prior experience in humanitarian/ emergency response programs not mandatory but will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should address their applications to the "Human Resource Officer, International Medical Corps" via the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates MUST state the position that they are applying for as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Application letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale