The MacTay Group is a leading consulting company with its sole aim to nurture and improve growth in people and establishments by offering strategic and operations consulting services.
Our 30 year success story has been one filled with excitement and fulfilment for our clients, overcoming difficult challenges, cutting across Private, Public and social sectors while staying true to our beliefs that limitations are only a figment of the imagination, with our committed and innovative team, we have proved this time and again.
Our focus has always been to maximize output, performance and excellence, and this can be attested to by the numerous brands we have worked with in West Africa.
Our major driving force is our deep seated passion to improve performance using the best possible initiative ideas, supporting our clients to improve and modify, exceeding expectations and in the end creating ultimate satisfaction. We are constantly on the edge of transforming, as we believe that nothing is impossible.
The General Manager would function as a primary contact for our customers, the General Manager is heavily involved in and provides friendly, courteous, and helpful customer service on a daily basis to provide a positive shopping experience. The Manager is also responsible for the total operations of the store and performs various duties personally or through supervision of store employees (20 to 30 direct reports plus 100+ bargaining unit and non-contract employees). The Manager position is a non-union, salaried position and reports to the Managing Director.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overall management responsibility for operation of retail grocery store, including store performance, control of cash, budget, inventory/security, customer services, and management of staff
- Focus on positive customer service/satisfaction experience and ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service
- Maintain, encourage and possess an “owner mentality”
- Track, analyze and take action to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals and meeting or exceeding established goals. Communicate sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities, shrink, out of stock with staff to ensure positive results
- Identify areas for improvement and cost control by implementing action plans and procedures to address issues
- Forecast, create schedule, and monitor labor to be consistent with store sales, productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues
- Monitor product display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions ensuring presentation, pricing and signage are properly displayed and presented according to established practices and plans and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions
- Ensure cashier accountability, scanning accuracy and adherence to company security and cash control procedures
- Monitor and build relationships with all vendors to ensure proper adherence to our standards
- Ensure that compliance with all federal, state, local agency, company policies and procedures are properly followed, including, security, safety, food handling and sanitation, weights and measures, refrigeration, wage and hour, etc.
- Recruit, properly train, coach/develop, encourage and set high standards for job performance of store employees, with assistance of other management personnel. Evaluate employee performance and addresses conduct issues through coaching, counseling and termination process, if needed
- Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable
- Create a rewarding work environment where our employees feel valued and empowered
- Ensure store appearance is maintained to company standards
Schedules: Interested applicants must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including nights, holidays, and weekends
Working Conditions: This position requires repeated use of hands, arms, legs, and feet for sustained action (e.g. long periods of time walking around the store and standing, stocking, rotating product). Frequent bending, squatting and kneeling and capable of lift 25 to 55 pounds and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to complete an assessment to measure key retail management and organizational knowledge.
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a store manager/director with responsibility for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within retail or service industry with sales volume of over N15,000,000 per week
- Overall management responsibility for a minimum of 20 personnel or greater
- Strong customer service and proven ability to demonstrate leadership skills
- Strong operations experience in receiving, stock and inventory as well as front-end/office management
- Must have direct experience managing a P&L budget
- Experience selecting, assessing, developing and coaching employees
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a very fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills with an upbeat demeanor and sales-oriented personality
- Ability to work flexible schedules
This job description is intended to provide a high-level of general requirements for this position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure proper operations
Method of Application
To apply for this position, visit Mactay's job post on Workable
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.