The Foundation for International Community Assistance (FINCA International) is a non-profit, microfinance organization, founded by John Hatch in 1984. Sometimes referred to as the "World Bank for the Poor" and a "poverty vaccine for the planet", FINCA is the innovator of the village banking methodology in microcredit and is widely regarded as one of the pioneers of modern day microfinance. With its headquarters in Washington, D.C., FINCA has 21 affiliated host-country institutions (affiliates), in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia. Along with Grameen Bank and Accion International, FINCA is considered to be one of the most influential microfinance organizations in the world.
About the Job
FINCA is recruiting for an experienced, motivated and hands-on Head of Risk and Compliance to join FINCA’s start-up microfinance bank in Nigeria. This is a manager position with a direct reporting line to the Board Risk Management Committee, and is responsible to implement and enforce a robust enterprise-wide risk management framework and requisite systems including policies, processes and tools. The risk framework should include Strategic risk, Operational risk, Market risk, Liquidity risk, Credit risk and Compliance risk, specially Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism legislation.
In conjunction with Africa Internal Controls Manager, the Head of Risk will also assist the management to create and maintain an internal control environment that supports FINCA in pursuing its mission with a minimum of risk and a maximum of efficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop appropriate Risk Management strategies/tools and disseminate appropriate risk management practices in line with developments in business products, change in clients, markets/industry, laws and regulations
- Oversee and enforce risk management policies, including Credit Manual, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Manual and Policy, and monitor compliance with policies. Provide an independent review of proposed business plans which include risks identified to the Board Risk Committee and Executive Committee.
- Manage a comprehensive AML Compliance program for the company in line with local regulations and internal policy requirements; report quarterly to Board Audit Committee on AML
- Developing systems to generate a robust MIS to identify, monitor, manage and control credit, market and operational risks.
- Monitor and manage the performance and development of direct reports, by being the champion of risk management and improve Management team understanding of key risk identification, assessment, monitoring and reporting and mitigation
Qualifications and Experience:
- Five years working experience in internal control, audit, or risk management, preferably in financial services industry/sector
- Experience with AML-CFT Compliance in regulated financial institution
- Three years’ experience in management/leadership role
- Policy development and implementation experience preferred
- Relevant professional qualifications in local market
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Credit or Finance or relevant certifications
- Post-graduate degree will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English
- High proficiency in use of computerized applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Visio.
- Leading with integrity - Reinforces our values through daily behavior and holds others accountable to ethical behavior
- Employee engagement - Maintains a fulfilling work environment and engages staff based on their strengths. Mentors others to develop their skills and provides feedback on performance regularly.
- Responsible for results - Takes responsibility for own actions and manages others to focus on key priorities.
- Recruitment and staffing - Makes quality hiring decisions; Forecasts staffing needs accurately; Follows Company hiring process
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Financial responsibility - Conserves organizational resources and works within budget guidelines.
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and qualities:
- Consulting and management techniques to initiate and manage strategic changes in risk management across the entire organization
- Knowledge and experience in modern Enterprise in Internal Controls & Risk Management practices in Financial Services industry to provide practicalguidance on strategic changes.
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria and to travel within the country (40% of the time)
- Enterprising and self-driven personality with the ability to adapt and acquire new skills
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Highly attentive to detail with excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Knowledge and effective application of all relevant banking policies, processes, procedures and guidance to consistently achieve required compliance standards or benchmarks
- Results-oriented, with the ability to motivate the team to be consistent with performance
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and commitment to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Understands the needs of a start-up, with willingness and ability to perform duties beyond the scope of work.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale