MISSION SPECIFIC CONSIDERATIONS: Does this duty station require candidate to have undertaken SSAFE training? NO What type of accommodation is available for deployees? Hotels (A number of UNFPA approved hotels exist in the locations) Is the duty station on an R&R cycle, if so how often? No Any specific medical requirements e.g. vaccines required? Yellow Fever (Mandatory by the Nigerian Immigration services) Please confirm laptop/phone available or whether incumbent should bring own? Incumbent should bring his/her laptop and cell phone. Sim card and communication credit will be provided by the office during period of deployment.
OVERALL SECURITY SITUATION SUMMARY
In country and main threats (armed conflict, terrorism, crime, social unrest, hazard): Armed robbery and banditry are the main security factors which undermine the security situation in northwestern Nigeria. Isolated terrorist activities in the form of vehicle borne or personal borne improvised explosive device (IED).
In recent months, the North-West region of Nigeria comprising of the states of Sokoto, Katsina and Zamfara has been a theatre of several violence conflicts resulting to deaths of civilians and mass displacements. Armed banditry generally accompanied with abduction for ransoms has greatly worsen the already fragile security context plagued by a complexity of conflicts among which are the herders-farmers’ conflicts, indigene-settler conflicts; inter-faith tensions between Muslims and Christians; and intra-faith tension between mainstream Islam and the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN). Also as the immediate neighbor of the North-East region, the North-West perhaps comes next as the most terror-affected zone in Nigeria, after the North-East. In December 2019, a joint rapid assessment led by UNOCHA and UNHCR indicated a significant spike in the conflict within the region leading to the emergence of a new humanitarian emergency. More than 40,000 Nigerians have fled to Niger over the last 10 months for safety. The conflict has caused the deaths of more than 4,000 people. The Nigeria security experts report the Fulani-Hausa conflict is expected to claim more lives this year than Boko Haram aggression. A total of 88,631 households has been affected by this complex crisis which resulted into 220,293 individual displaced. 54% of the displaced population are female while the remaining 46% are male. 80% of the population fall within the women and children demographic.
STAFFING PLAN POST SURGE
Role expected to end after surge No Role to transition to a TA No Role handed over to national staff Yes Other, please specify Role Description: Under the overall supervision and guidance of UNFPA Representative and the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Coordinator, the Reproductive Health Specialist will be based in Sokoto to provide oversight and technical leadership to reproductive health programs in the North-West region of Nigeria. The incumbent will be responsible for the overall coordination for effective and efficient implementation of the reproductive health component in the North-West states while contributing to the Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan. The SRH specialist will oversee the RH humanitarian interventions in Sokoto, Katsina and Zamfara states. The RH Specialist supports the RH coordinators in Sokoto, Katsina and Zamfara states and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with other counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. S/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate. Internal contacts include the Representative, Deputy Representative, Humanitarian Coordinators, Head of the Kaduna Sub-Office, International Operations Manager, the CO’s programme/technical team. External contacts include other UN agencies in country, and counterparts and partners in Country programme activities, including international NGOs, experts etc.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Development and Implementation
Monitoring & Evaluation
Provide coaching to the RH staff in the NW where appropriate Coach and build capacity of implementing partners responding to the humanitarian crisis.
Perform any other duties as required by UNFPA Representative or supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills Required
Applicants should send their Applications and detailed CV's as a single document to: email@example.com
Join over 340K happy subscribers