Pay band: 7
Remuneration: Naira 15,195,957 per annum
Post Location: Lagos
Contract type: Locally Engaged
At an unprecedented time of change globally, the British Council seeks an experienced Senior Financial Accountant to oversee financial control specialism within the Finance Function in Nigeria.
The role is accountable for the operational and strategic leadership of British Council Nigeria’s Financial Control activities and team spread across different locations in the country. Focusing on timely, accurate, complete financial accounting and reporting in line with internal organisational requirements and external regulatory standards, while acting as a trusted partner to the business delivery and operational support teams. This role supports the Country Head of Finance with the end to end accounting process across the operation; including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
The role holder will act as the finance lead for the financial control function in Nigeria, leading the accounting team, and acting as one of the key finance business partners to senior management teams across Nigeria operations.
The role will manage a team of accountants based in multiple locations.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role:
The role presents great opportunity for us in building a strong, efficient, effective, innovative and value driven financial control services for the British Council.
The role holder will:
- Manage end to financial accounting function for Nigeria while ensuring accuracy, completeness and timeliness of accounting transactions and reporting
- Act as one of the key finance business partners to senior managers across operations in Nigeria.
- Ensure compliance with financial reporting standards (IFRS, FRS102 - The Financial Reporting Standard applicable in the UK and Republic of Ireland), and all relevant local statutory regulations, including tax-related legislations, foreign exchange policies, etc.
- The finance function has gone through several change programmes, and the post holder will play a key role in sustainability and achieving desired results of the changes and improvement projects.
- The organisation requires the financial function to have a level of commercial finance acumen as we expand our income generating activities, streamline our portfolio and target more partnership income. As a result, the role holder will play a key role in driving income target/performance.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Qualified accountant – ACA, ACCA
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 6 years post-qualification experience
- At least 6 years in a similar finance role
- A very detailed understanding of financial control processes applicable to Commercial and/or Charitable organisations
- Track record of managing key finance function in international / multinational organisation in similar context; and leading an efficient, innovative and result oriented team
- Able to relay complex financial information in an easy-to-understand way to support non-financial managers to deliver against financial performance indicators
- Experience of managing a diverse team or group of stakeholders in multiple locations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience of an ERP system (SAP preferably)
- Experience working with the Big 4 audit firm
- Master’s degree
- CFA, CGMA, CIMA, CITN
- Deliver and support the implementation of stringent financial requirements to multi-disciplinary internal staff and external partners
- Direct experience of applying financial controls and procedures within complex and high-risk operating environments to meet challenging contractual standards
- Demonstrable experience of thinking creatively to design / redesign business processes to make measurable step-change efficiency gains
- Experience of overseeing, supporting and significantly improving financial management capability and performance of individuals and teams outside of formal / direct line management control
Additional Information: All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in Nigeria.