- This position will manage the development and implementation of Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Systems for projects executed within country programs.
- A strong emphasis is on data collection, integrity, data analysis, reporting, and dissemination to key stakeholders.
- S/he will provide technical input to project reviews and proposals and will provide leadership and support in the implementation of Heifer’s regional and global monitoring and evaluation systems at the country level, ensuring standards in baseline surveys, living income benchmarking, impact monitoring, and evaluation processes that contribute to the global strategies.
- The PMEL Manager represents Heifer’s country-level management, program knowledge and perspective in the development of strategies within Heifer at large and the development and private sector.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
A.) Implement monitoring, evaluation, learning, and systems for country-specific projects. (30%):
- Collect and manage data to support needs assessment, project design, project logical framework design, and target setting and progress management.
- Conduct and manage project baseline, living income benchmarking and monitor project progress, and evaluations as per M&E plan.
- Ensure the effective implementation of MELS policies, procedures, and guidelines for country-specific projects.
- Ensure proper use of available digital tools and techniques for effectively managing MELS activities.
- Provide support to implement partners in preparing their MELS plans and in using digital tools for data collection and management.
- Support Heifer wide research for Learning when needed
- Elevate MELS related challenges to Country Director and Program Director for coordination with the SVP - Africa Programs, to find timely solutions.
B.) Contribute to program effectiveness: design monitoring, evaluation, learning, and systems for country-specific projects (20%):
- Design monitoring and evaluation plan incorporating core standard indicators defined by HQ, and set targets for indicators.
- Create an indicator reference sheet for all indicators.
- Develop the project Results in Framework & logical framework for all the projects.
- Design data collection tools, plans, and processes for all required information, ensuring high quality and integrity of data.
- Review and adjust M&E plans and targets, tools, and processes periodically.
- Ensure alignment of country’s/projects’ M&E plans and procedures with the organization’s standards and requirements.
- Support development of a MELS budget and staffing plan per each funded project.
- Assist in networking with other development organizations, governments, and other line agencies in promoting Heifer’s development model/initiatives, and potential collaborations.
C.) Data management, analysis and utilization for learning. (20%):
- Summarize/ aggregate data at country level and contribute to organization-wide aggregation.
- Manage all data properly in clean form, and analyze to use for project management, learning and meet all the reporting needs.
- Ensure timely data availability and reporting to stakeholders as needed.
- Respond to periodic donor and headquarters requests for additional information on project activities and results.
- Document lessons learned, successes, failures and best practices via case studies.
- Develop and monitor CP level action agenda to ensure that they are refined and acted upon.
D.) Capacity Development (15%):
- Equip MELS staff and implementing partners’ staff with skills to deliver MELS activities efficiently.
- Build implementing partners’ capacity in MELS activities including proper record keeping and data management.
- Supervise and manage to support MELS staff for efficient work and maintaining compliance.
- Provide coaching and training to equip MELS staff to deliver the assigned responsibilities efficiently.
- Contribute to the recruitment, training, and supervision of external parties that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts.
E.) Fundraising (10%):
- Support the development of concept notes, project proposals, and submission to potential donors. Support research and evaluation initiatives in country.
- Assist in networking with other development organizations, governments and other line agencies in promoting Heifer’s development model/initiatives, and potential collaborations.
- Support the Director of Programs in data collection and updating for all Value-chains of interest in the country.
F.) Any Other Assigned Functions (5%):
- Perform other job-related duties as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in International Development, Project Planning and Management, Economics, Statistics, or other relevant disciplines with focus on Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Eight (8) years of substantial monitoring and evaluation experience.
- Must be eligible to work in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and working with international donors and grantees on PMEL/MLE systems.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in Nigeria or West Africa.
- Experience in managing databases and coordinating evaluations, surveys and impact monitoring.
- Professional training in project management.
Essential Character Traits:
- Detailed-oriented, self-driven, and leadership skills.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, agriculture and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis, reporting and analyzing program performance.
- Knowledge of market systems interventions and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Strong knowledge and skills in data management and analysis using statistical software’s (eg. STATA, SPSS, SAS, Eviews, etc.).
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written.
- Experience with ICT.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MEL concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality