Norwegian church aid (NCA) commenced its operation in Borno state, North East Nigeria since spring of 2017, when it initiated an emergency intervention on GBV prevention and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WaSH). NCA’s GBV focus is on women and girls at risk of GBV and those who had experienced GBV, were the focus of case management and psychosocial support services. NCA works predominantly through partners and targets other vulnerable women and girls through safe spaces where other support services are provided. NCA’s GBV intervention also targets men and boys in IDPs and host communities through training, sensitization on GBV core concepts, hygiene promotion and GBV mitigation and prevention measures.
The organisation has recently transformed into a country office from a mission and is now seeking to nationalise its GBV Project Management position.
Specific objectives of the position (objectives, scope and deliverables) Max 7 or less.
Manage the timely and effective implementation of the GBV program (activity and staff movement planning, procurement planning, financial planning) and ensure quality of the GBV program through respect of national and international standards
Ensure effective monitoring and reporting of the GBV program (timely contributions to the M&E framework, internal and external reporting, budget spending/tracking and reporting)
Manage a team of approximately 20 staff and 4 partner organizations (planning of daily tasks, performance review, staff management and staff well-being)
Represent NCA in relevant coordination mechanisms, ensure relevance of NCA’s programs and their visibility vis-à-vis humanitarian needs and action.
Support program development related to GBV sector and any other areas as necessary
Fundraising for sustainability and growth of the GBV program (develop innovative ideas for proposals, write winning funding proposals, track and manage implementation using results-based management)
- Civil Society Strengthening (increase the portfolio and build capacity of NCA’s local partners)
- Roles and responsibilities (specific tasks, coordination etc...)
- Ensure monthly activity planning and reporting of all GBV teams in line with the project document(s).
- Ensure monthly staff movement planning and coordinate respective staff movement requests.
- Develop and update procurement plans regularly and ensure timely procurement requests to the Logistics Department.
- Ensure budget planning and tracking, approve activity spending of GBV teams.
- Ensure quality programming and provide technical support for the GBV activities implemented by NCA GBV teams.
- Ensure NCA GBV activities respect all necessary national and international standards
- Ensure timely implementation of projects, according to logical framework and donor requirements.
- Participate on GBV related evaluations and needs assessments, including designing of appropriate tools and training staff
- Ensure development and update of M&E Framework for GBV program
- Guide and oversee the regular monitoring and evaluation of project activities, outputs and outcomes/impact
- Support M&E staff in their tasks and build capacities of the GBV team in M&E
- Ensure timely and quality monthly and quarterly reports and donor reports
- Follow-up budget spending of GBV programs in cooperation with Finance Manager
- Support and supervise implementation and security of programme databases and information management systems according to global GBV standards, including the use of the Gender Based Violence Information Management System (GBVIMS +/Primero).
- Adopt and develop the capacity of staff to utilize PIMS for project management
- Ensure continuous capacity building of members of GBV team
- Plan and approve leaves and compensations for GBV team.
- Participate on recruitment of new GBV staff
- Ensure the GBV team acts in line with NCA internal policies, more specifically CoC
- Ensure follow-up and capacity building of partner organization(s)
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Recruit staff in conjunction with Human Resources Department and ensure Performance Management Plan for all staff is in place and followed up regularly through Aditro digital platform.
- Participate in Protection sector meetings and other coordination meetings related GBV, take a leading position in GBV sub-sector (if applicable)
- Ensure information sharing with relevant cluster(s) and working groups
- Ensure NCA’s implementation is according to humanitarian principles and Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
- Provide continuous coaching and support to the Protection/GBV focal point for WASH cluster (NCA staff)
- Build capacities of field staff to become GBV cluster focal points in field locations
- Monitor gaps and humanitarian needs of targeted population.
- Participate on identification of funding opportunities in GBV sector.
- Participate on development of NCA Programmatic Strategy in GBV.
- Contribute in preparation and designing of project proposal for different donors in line with the management’s strategy.
- Regularly seek out opportunities for funding.
- Collaborate with the WaSH and ASRH team to develop winning proposals.
- Produce timely and succinct donor reports.
- Develop the capacity of the GBV team on proposals and reports writing.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate and partner with local civil society organizations including Faith Based Organizations.
- Work with other sector leaders to build the capacity of NCA partners.
- Conduct regular mentoring and coaching of partners’ staff.
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation of partner’s programs and document learning.
- Undertake any other task related to the GBV programming as necessary.
Cross Cutting Issues (Gender, Protection, Environment & Other)
The GBV Project Manager ensures the centrality of protection, GBV mainstreaming and respect of CHS and AAP standards in all program activities and ensures the capacity building of NCA staff in those areas.
As such, the GBV Project Manager is responsible:
- for respecting and integration of CHS and for inclusion of all vulnerable groups in every stage of Project Cycle Management (PCM).
- that all data in assessments, plans and reports are gender disaggregated and that indicators and results are gender specific.
- for support to initiatives related to the establishment of gender, age and diversity sensitive localized Complaint Response Mechanism.
- implementation of ACT Alliance Code of Conduct where applicable.
- for development and implementation of trainings for NCA staff and NCA partners
- build capacity of NCA’s partners to implement programs on NCA’s behalf.
- The knowledge and use of IASC Gender handbook is a prerequisite to the work of NCA GBV Project manager in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of ASRH is an advantage.
Qualification, Experience and Success Factor:
- Advanced degree in public health, Nursing, international development, psychology, or other related discipline.
- 5 years of relevant programme management experience.
- Demonstrate clear understanding of gender, human rights and violence against women and girls.
- Experience in working with and building national partner capacity and working closely with local governments, especially community leaders and sub-sector.
- Previous experience leading teams on GBV response and risk mitigation strategies in emergencies.
- Experience facilitating trainings and workshops on responding to and preventing GBV.
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to lead and work well in a team setting.
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail while, meeting tight deadlines.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in participatory methods of community development and mobilization.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Power point
- Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable security environment.
- The GBV Project Manager reports to the Head of Programs.
- S/he provides regular status reports from own area of responsibilities as per NCA Nigeria internal procedures.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
- Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid.
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics within Norwegian Church Aid. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values