Job ID: 544368
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration: 364 days
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the direct supervision and general guidance of the Education Manager, Education Specialist (Access) supports the development and implementation of the education programme with a specific focus on access to education.
- He/She will be responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the progress of education programmes/projects within the country programme.
- Particularly, the Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programmes/projects to improve equitable access to quality and inclusive education, especially for children who are affected by conflict, marginalized, disadvantaged and excluded in society.
- The Specialist contributes to achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM), as well as UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Tasks / Responsibilities
Support to programme development and planning:
- Support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the education programmes with focus on the access component to ensure that current and comprehensive data is available to guide UNICEF’s strategic policy, advocacy, intervention, and development efforts on education programmes.
- Help supervisor set priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency, and delivery.
- Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of education programmes. Formulate, design, and prepare programme proposals for the sector, ensuring alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Provide technical support in establishing specific goals, objectives, strategies, and implementation plans for the learning/quality component of the education program using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure that well-planned/structured learning interventions are conducted.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results:
- Plan and collaborate with internal colleagues and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for learning, learning outcomes and quality education in general.
- Provide professional technical leadership in ensuring structured/systematic implementation of interventions that support equitable access to quality education.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with the government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare and assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths and weaknesses in programme management.
- Identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits and surveys, and exchange information with stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems, and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum and appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations, procedures, donor commitments, and standards of accountability. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular and mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
Technical and operational support to programme implementation:
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners and donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on education and related issues to support programme management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Provide operational support to ensure the effective, efficient and timely programme interventions.
- Arrange/coordinate availability of technical experts with Regional Office/HQ to ensure timely and appropriate support throughout the programming process.
- Participate in education programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use.
Networking and partnership building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, national stakeholders, global partners, donors, and academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on education programmes.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund raising for education programmes.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions on education and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
- Apply and introduce innovative approaches and good practices to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best practices in education management. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programmes/projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Education, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, or another relevant technical field is required.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in programme planning, implementation and management in education especially in the area of access, some of which preferably in emergency context is required.
- Experience working in emergency context is considered as an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
For every Child, you Demonstrate:
- UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1).