If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
GAIN’s purpose is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving the consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially those most vulnerable to malnutrition. In particular, we aim to improve the consumption of safe and nutritious foods for-at a minimum-1 billion people over the next five years and target major improvements to food systems, resulting in more diverse and healthier diets for vulnerable people in countries where we work.
Project Manager (Complementary Feeding)
Classification: Project Manager, R4
Reports: 1 - 5 Work
Travel Required: Up to 50 % to project areas
- The focus of this project revolves around GAIN working with public and private sectors as well as other development partners at the national and state level to improve complementary feeding practices and dietary diversity in children 6-24 months. The project will start with a formative research to identify barriers and enablers to consumption of nutritious foods and optimal feeding practices; this will shape and/or validate the intervention strategy and formulate appropriate messages and mediums for delivery.
- The approach will advocate for national strategies and guidelines to be finalised; and to be adopted in a focal state; Engage with the private sector and government for increased accessibility and demand for specific nutritious foods; and design and implement an SBCC strategy that addresses relevant findings in complementary feeding practices.
- The Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the interventions by the different executing agencies are coordinated so that overall project milestones and goals are met. S/he will be expected to provide technical support as required.
- S/he will supervise direct reports/consultants taken on to support project delivery.
- Plays a catalytic role in the implementation of the Complementary Feeding project by fostering strong collaboration with implementing agencies.
- Accountable for the overall Complementary Feeding project management and timely delivery against plan of the Project, reporting and responsibility for technical and financial documentation for all GAIN, donor and Government of Nigeria requirements.
- Monitors the project budget, checks documentation submitted by executing agents and recommends disbursement of funds.
- Closely follow up with project partners responsible for implementing and technical assistance and undertake regular supervision to ensure the smooth running of the project with clear project deliverables and reporting system.
- Responsible for timely convening, facilitation and associated documentation of the project governance teams, providing guidance and strategic recommendations on the project.
- Responsible for identification and drafting of Terms of Reference for planned and ad hoc requests for technical assistance and liaising with Programme Services Team in HQ.
- Ensure timely flow of project-related information between project partners, Country Director and GAIN Directors as is relevant to successful project implementation and the good standing of GAIN’s brand and Country Office.
- Visits the field regularly to ensure that project progress is on track and to design and implement risk mitigation plans if required.
- Follow up on contracts implementation including timely financial and narrative reports, disbursements and monitor fund utilization in line with the jointly agreed deliverables.
- Responsible for overall reporting of the program progress reports including monthly, quarterly and annual reports for internal GAIN and government requirements.
Demand Creation and Accessibility:
- Contribute to the process of development of a Social Behavioural Change Communication (SBCC) campaign together with research teams, in order to increase demand of animal source protein.
- Accountable for stakeholder alignment on the social marketing strategies and communication materials developed by communication agency
- Responsible for coordinating between HQ and the selected communication agency for implementing the communications strategy and associated reporting.
- Educate and influence key opinion leaders, professionals and Associations on the importance of increasing uptake of nutritious complementary foods.
- Contribute to the creation of a full Market Assessment survey identifying accessibility, supply channels and price barriers to the purchasing of the selected animal source protein food.
- Develop and conduct trainings for community volunteers and key community influencers to promote the consumption of nutritious foods
Creating an Enabling Environment:
- Ensure the adoption of National policies, guidelines and strategies at the State Government level.
- Represents GAIN at project review meetings with the government and donor, technical groups and seminars / conferences and facilitating alignment with key stakeholders.
- Contributes to the knowledge mobilisation activities, including the gathering of national and regional trends in MIYCN policies as they relate to nutrition.
- Advocate for the GAIN model with other potential stakeholders and donors.
- Responsible for the creation of the baseline and endline surveys for the project the delivery of the relevant reports
- Carry out impact assessments on project target groups during the course of the project and apply course corrective measure where necessary
- Conduct a review of the process and document the drivers of success in SBCC campaign development and delivery
Key Organizational Relationships
- GAIN Nigeria country team and GAIN Directors
- Programme Service Team and Knowledge Leadership team in GAIN HQ
- Finance, HR, IT and Legal colleagues in GAIN HQ
- Government, project partners and other key external stakeholders
- A Master's Degree in Nutrition, Food Science, Health or a suitable equivalent is required.
- Diploma or equivalent certification in project management or business administration is highly desirable
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in international development, including at least 3 years in a project management/project leadership role with an existing network in Nigeria
- Demonstrated success in managing time-bound projects.
- Strong understanding of Nigeria’s public health sector required.
- Experience of delivering an integrated nutrition / IYCN program highly desirable.
- Experience working in a public/private partnership environment desirable
- Private Sector experience desirable
Skills & Attributes:
- Excellent project management capabilities
- Proven leadership and management capabilities
- Strong communication and advocacy skills
- High level of professionalism and integrity
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity.
- Computer literacy with good Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and Power Point skills.
- Fluent written and verbal English,
- Hausa/Fulani proficiency desirable.
- Must be willing and able to travel in challenging environments
Method of Application
Click here to view Job Description (PDF)
Interested and qualified? Go to Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) career website on jobs.gainhealth.org to apply