The University of Lagos was established in 1962 by an Act of Parliament of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to encourage the advancement of learning. It is located in the urban and commercial city of Lagos, with the main campus in Akoka. Its other campuses are at Yaba and the College of Medicine, University of Lagos (CMUL) Idi-Araba. The University caters for both full-time and part-time students with an overall student population of over 50,000 (regular and part-time at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels). It has a staff strength of
- The Vice-Chancellor is a Principal Officer responsible for the day-to-day operations of the University and reports directly to the University’s Council.
- The Vice-Chancellor must pursue the realisation of the University’s Vision and Mission.
- For the post, the University seeks candidates with vision, proven academic distinction, managerial ability, integrity and transparency in private and public life.
- The right candidate should also have the ability to develop linkages with external communities to meet the emerging needs of the University.
- He/She should be able to command respect and engender the cooperation and loyalty of staff and students of the University and its alumni.
Schedule of Duties
The Vice-Chancellor shall:
- Be generally responsible to the Council in maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of its statutes, ordinances and regulations;
- Have the competence to advise the Council on any matter affecting the administration, finance and policy of the University;
- At management level, provide leadership in the relentless pursuit of excellence in all aspects of University life, including teaching, research and community service;
- Be responsible for discipline in the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to guidelines and procedures approved by Senate and to any law or policy at the time that is applicable to the University;
- Undertake any other duties that will promote the growth and development of the University in a conducive atmosphere.
The Eligible Candidates
An eligible candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos must be:
- An exemplary scholar with good quantum of publications in highly rated journals
- A person with demonstrable capacity for original thinking and creativity
- A Professor for at least 10 years, and not more than 65 years old on November 11, 2017
- A person with astute managerial ability who can maintain the peace and academic stability for which the University is reputed
- A scholar of outstanding national and international repute, with proficiency in Information Communication Technology (ICT) and considerable experience at top levels of University Administration
- A person with a track record of teaching, research and community service
- A person with entrepreneurial and innovative abilities with the capacity to create wealth for the sustainability of the University of our future in line with the vision and mission
- A person endowed with strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership
- A person with a clear vision for the development of the University in realisation of its mission to refocus research and innovation, infrastructural development and human resource allocation as expressed in the University Strategic Plan
- Able to foster regional and international partnerships including securing opportunities with the business community in Lagos for the achievement of our strategic goal
- A person capable of inspiring the advancement of learning while reaching out to all persons without discrimination in any form
- Of sound physical and mental health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character capable of inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students.
- The successful candidate shall hold office as Vice-Chancellor for a single term of five (5) years only from November 12, 2017 (date of resumption) on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
Salary and Conditions of Service
The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government/Governing Council as appropriate.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Applicants should submit three bound copies of Publications along with ten (10) copies of detailed Applications and Curriculum Vitae. The CV should include:
- Names in full
- Place and Date of Birth
- Home Address
- Postal Address
- Telephone No. (Landline/Mobile)
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Secondary and Post-Secondary Education (including dates and institutions)
- Academic and Professional Qualification (Including distinctions and credit with dates)
- Statement of experience including full details of former and present post.
- Detailed list of publications.
- Other activities outside current employment.
- Names and Addresses of three referees.
- Proposed date of availability for duties, if appointed.
All Applications and supporting materials should be submitted to:
The Deputy Registrar,
Academic Affairs Unit,
University of Lagos,
Further enquiries should be directed to:
Office of Advancement,
University of Lagos.
Mobile No: 08037257799
Academic Staff Unit
Human Resource Management Department,
University of Lagos.
Mobile No: 08029914599