Propcom Mai-karfi, a six-year project working to improve the livelihoods of Nigeria’s rural poor through targeted market initiatives, is seeking a high- performing, results-oriented professional to serve as Market Section Manager.
Propcom Mai-karfi aims to increase incomes for 500,000 poor Nigerians, including 50% women, by enhancing employment opportunities and improving productivity in selected agricultural and other rural markets in northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi, which runs through December 2017, is managed by Palladium, in partnership with Technoserve, for the UK Department for International Development.
Market Section Manager
The Market Section Manager will supervise and lead a market section comprising a number of Intervention Managers. This team will oversee interventions in several target markets and identify further opportunities for the programme to pursue.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing overall strategic direction for the market sector and all interventions within the sector; monitoring and quality assuring all intervention guides and resulting outputs
- Identifying new markets in order to contribute to the overall programme strategy and liaising with the senior management team on potential markets
- Initiating and managing all market related value chain analysis ensuring study designs, contracting and implementation are done in accordance to set standards
- Driving the stakeholder analysis of the selected commodity chains as well as identifying potential agents of change
- Overseeing the implementation of all market interventions ensuring initiative is taken and setting work plans for the intervention
- Identifying and establishing strategic partnerships within the market and playing a lead role in managing all established partnerships
- Administrative guidance is followed for grants, MoUs, and general administration
- Budgets are managed for the markets being supervised
- Security guidelines are followed by all team members
- Improving the performance of the team through mentoring and coaching
- Ensuring good linkages with the Results Measurement team
- Contributing to the overall leadership of the programme as part of the management team
Required Skills & Experience
- A Master’s degree in a related discipline
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience and knowledge of the agricultural inputs market in Northern Nigeria is a definite advantage
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive reports
- Excellent analytical skills
- Hausa is desirable
- Willingness to travel domestically, especially to the north of Nigeria
- Strong skills in business software (Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint)
- Previous experience on M4P projects preferred
- Team management experience
- Evidence of the ability to form strong partnerships
- Credibility within the business community
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English
In return we offer:
- A friendly and team-based working environment in Abuja
- Opportunity to collaborate with national and international colleagues
- Opportunity to make a vital contribution to an innovative Nigerian development programme
- A competitive salary with benefits
The role is based in Abuja, although travel within northern Nigeria will be required.
Applications are encouraged from all those who can clearly demonstrate sound evidence of success in a business advisory or agricultural management role and a passion for development in Nigeria.
Please send your CV (maximum of three pages), full details referees and a 1 page covering letter outlining how your skills and competencies match the requirements of this post to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Method of Application
To apply, check preferred job details for application emails.