Girl Hub is a strategic collaboration between the Department for International Development (DFID) and the NIKE Foundation, designed to bring together the expertise of both organisation to transform the lives of adolescent girls. Our aim is to shift the social norms that hold girls back, and drive better investment that directly benefit girls.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
GHN Policy Advocacy Consultant
The Kano state government has shown commitment and investment in girls' education through the provision of services and funds to support girls' education. However, the manner in which these services have been provided, albeit, well intentioned, have been mostly based on the interest and commitment of the Governor and not necessarily on a well-grounded policy. The concern, therefore, is that a change in government could result in a reversal of these education programmes of government, if the new government does not have as much interest in girls' education as the present one. To prevent this from happening, GHN wishes to work with the Kano state government to develop a comprehensive girls' education policy. The purpose of this consultancy is to develop a draft education policy for Kano state based on the policy pronouncements of the government and best practices from around the world.
Scope of Work
The consultant will:
- Consult will all relevant Kano state government officials to understand the programmes for girls education in the state and get their buy in for a girls education policy.
- Review all Kano state government policies, policy statements and pronouncements on girls education.
- Consult with other education programmes in Kano state (ESSPIN, dRPC, and others) to understand existing interventions for girls education in Kano state.
- Review other girls education policies from around the world.
- Produce a report that details all the findings in Kano state including challenges, interventions and successes in girls education by government, donors and NGOs .
- Produce a draft policy document which will incorporate the Kano government's policy statements and already existing programmes for girls as well as best practices from around the world .
- Conduct a debriefing session for GHN and relevant Kano state government officials.
- Finalize the draft document incorporating comments from the debriefing sessions.
Key Skills and Experiences
- A relevant degree in Education, Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences or Education.
- Good understanding of the Kano state education landscape (Education Ministries, SUBEB or Secondary Schools Management Board or other relevant parastatal.)
- Good experience with policy formulation
- Good networks within Kano state government
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of partners working in the state on girls' secondary school education.
- Knowledge of emerging global education trends.
- Having worked in Education system is an added advantage.
- A concept note detailing how the study will be undertaken
- A detailed activity based timetable for the work
- A report that details all the findings in Kano state including challenges, interventions and successes in girls education by government, donors and NGOs
- A debriefing session for GHN and relevant Kano state government officials
- A draft policy document which will incorporate the Kano government's policy statements and already existing programmes for girls as well as best practices from around the world.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: email@example.com with the subject "Education Policy Consultant"
The application should include:
- Curriculum vitae of the consultant(s) who will undertake this assignment, the CV should include relevant experience, names and addresses of organizations where similar work has been carried out.
- A budget for the assignment.
- A concept note detailing how the study will be undertaken.
- A detailed activity based timetable for the work.