The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
Security Officer -(Nigerian Nationals Only)
NRC is looking for a Security Officer for our area office in Maiduguri, Borno State in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Security Officer is to implement Security activities in Borno State and support the implementation of Security activities in other field offices
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Security Officer reports to the Security Coordinator - MaiduguriDuties and responsibilities
- Provide security support to the area office on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity in Nigeria.
- Participate in the evaluation of the Nigeria Security Management Plan on a regular basis.
- Ensure compliance to NRC Security Management Framework.
- Assist in the review and update of hibernation and evacuation plans for all NRC offices and residences.
- Conduct rapid risk assessments of offices and residences. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with HSS standards.
- Undertake continual assessments of security equipment and assets.
- Building Acceptance in the field to empower and expand humanitarian programming.
- Develop ongoing relationships with local authorities as needed.
- Work to ensure that NRC, its mission and work is known and accepted.
- Provide security input and advice in assessments to consider new NRC programs in new geographic areas. In coordination with Security Manager liaise with relevant security actors e.g., INSO, NGO Security Focal Points, region
- UNDSS contacts, local community stakeholders, Governors, etc.
- University Degree in any field, preferably in Security Management
- Knowledge of the context in North East Nigeria
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri, knowledge of other local languages in Borno State is an added advantage
- Experience with start-up communications room
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We can offer
- Commencement: ASAP/October 2019
- Duration: 3 months (One year renewal)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) career website on 2703252956.webcruiter.no to apply