Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Director, Programme Operations
Reports to: Country Director
Contract: 2 year Fixed Term Contract
- The Director Programme Operations will be responsible for and provide the overall leadership of Sightsavers programme operations in Nigeria and will ensure that Sightsavers’ operations are in line with the organisational strategy and direct the country programme team to manage and deliver high quality and cost-effective programmes
- The post will also confirm the adherence to programmatic internal systems and processes including overall responsibility of strategic programme development
- This position is designed to obtain high-quality professional leadership for strategizing and implementing Sightsavers’ programmes and related projects.
- As the Director Programme Operations you will lead and manage the programme team, ensure Sightsavers values, vision and mission including safeguarding are reflected in programme implementation, and you will support the Country Director to work collaboratively with internal departments globally to contribute to organisation success; review outputs and share learning, identify new opportunities and make recommendations based on changes in the local environment
- You will also lead the strategic programme implementation and their operations and ensure that project targets are achieved as per the annual work plan
- You will strengthen and enhance the quality of all programmes, make sure programme experience is critically analysed, and lessons learned captured and applied for on-going programme improvement and you will have overall responsibility for the management of Sightsavers’ partner/state programme budget
- To be the successful candidate you will have a post graduate qualification (or equivalent) in relevant fields related to Sightsavers thematic areas (NTDs, eye health, disability and social inclusion), possess working experience in an INGO/NGO environment with significant background in a senior management/leadership position, have knowledge of project management, budget development and monitoring, and resource management, and understanding of the development sector and critical cross cutting themes such as gender and advocacy.
Staff Management and Leadership (30%):
- Lead and manage the programme team for effective programme delivery
- Ensure Sightsavers values, vision and mission including safeguarding are reflected in programme implementation in Nigeria
- Supervise, guide and develop the direct reports using Sightsavers’ performance management system
- Ensure performance measurement for programme staff and their teams/staff development plans implemented
- Invest in team building and ensure team cohesion as well as encourage high team performance
- Ensure that direct reports are clear of and deliver to their respective targets and objectives
- Support the CD to work collaboratively with internal departments globally to contribute to organisation success; review outputs and share learning, identify new opportunities and make recommendations based on changes in the local environment.
Strategic Programme Development and Management (40%):
- Lead the strategic programme implementation and their operations and ensure that project targets are achieved as per the annual work plan
- Strengthen and enhance the quality of all programmes
- Monitor progress of projects and proactively manage issues and problems that arise
- Ensure programme experience is critically analysed, and lessons learned captured and applied for on-going programme improvement as well packaged to ease sharing and dissemination both internally and externally
- Manage, oversee and support, jointly with programme managers and finance staff to ensure effective, timely and quality programme and projects delivery
- Participate in selected Programme Forums and networks of Sightsavers and others, as needed for pursuing the organizations’ Programme Goals
- Work with programme teams to demonstrate high outcomes and provide support in scaling up of best practices across thematic areas
- Work with programme team and partners to replicate successful models of “scaleup” of “proven interventions” in order to reach out to a larger impact population
- Work closely with MEL and DARTS in setting up of mechanisms for knowledge gathering, analysis and dissemination
- Support to networks both inside and outside the organisation
Programme Finance Management (20%):
- With overall responsibility for the management of Sightsavers’ partner/state programme budget
- Ensure finance and programme functions are aligned for effective operations, ensure corrective actions are taken as appropriate
- Ensure budget holders are actively monitoring and reviewing budgets and addressing issues promptly
- Ensure program operations are in compliance with principles of accountability and transparency
- Ensure corrective actions are taken as appropriate
- Ensure partner expenditure is in line with approved forecasts
- Enforce compliance to meet funding/donor requirements in order to retain and develop grant and partner relationships
- Support Fundraising teams in ensuring that programme teams generate data/information and for fundraising
- Critically reviews all concept notes and project proposals submitted for funding opportunities
- Support States/Country Office to engage effectively with funding teams to raise resources for area/country programmes
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement – Encourages learning and drives for continuous improvement. Holds people accountable for their performance
- Communicating and influencing – Demonstrates commitment to the organisations strategic plan and objectives. Able to present complex information in a manner appropriate to a varied audience.
- Decision making – Consults, listens and leads to take clear and timely decisions
- Planning and organisation – Demonstrates the ability to deal with detail as well as the ‘big picture’. Develops and uses effective plans and monitoring systems to ensure appropriate use of resources
- Delivery and implementation – Acts as a role model for overcoming challenges and delivering against commitments and plans. Maintains consistency and effective performance despite pressures and changes
- Team working – Builds a strong and committed team in support of the organisation’s strategy. Is supportive of global working whilst having responsibility for team management and to develop a learning culture.
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and effectively function as a team member and respect diversity in a team
- Strong ability to nurture, mentor and empower staff at every level
- Demonstrated ability to orchestrate effective decisions across a broad range of issues, assess progress, analyze gaps and make changes necessary to ensure maximum results
- Demonstrated ability to identify programmatic issues that require immediate attention, prioritize and take appropriate and timely action
- Result oriented and proven track record of delivering impact at scale
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and presentation skills
- Demonstrated learning agility, pro-activeness and openness to embrace new technologies at work
- Ability to manage large budget
- Good MS office skills
- Add analytical skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate qualification in relevant fields related to Sightsavers thematic areas (NTDs, eye health, disability and social inclusion), or equivalent
- Extensive working experience in an INGO/NGO environment with significant background in a senior management/leadership position with proven track record of complex programme management at country level
- Knowledge of project management, budget development and monitoring, and resource management
- Knowledge of advocacy, research, impact assessment, partnership development and resource mobilisation
- Understanding of the development sector and critical cross cutting themes such as gender and advocacy.
This is not an exhaustive list but an outline of the key responsibilities of the role
Key Relationships (Internal):
- Country Director
- Regional Director
- Programme Team
- Sightsavers NTD Technical Hub
- Policy & Research - PS2
- Programme Staff NCO
- Finance Team NCO
- Institutional Funding.
Key Relationships (External):
- Strategic Partners – UN Agencies and NGDOs
- Implementing partners - Government and NGDOs
- Ministries of Health in Nigeria
- NTD communities in Nigeria
- Consultants and Contractors.
- Local Terms & Conditions apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form and Equal Opportunities Form" by clicking the link below and return as two separate documents to: email@example.com using the "Job title" as the subject of the email.
Click here to Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here to Download Equal Opportunities Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information