Job Number: 524094
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Fixed Term Appointment
How can you make a Difference?
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results:
Effective Operations of Financial Management:
- Manages and ensures the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office's financial resources to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing financial operational requirements. Ensures effective and efficient financial operations that promote gender sensitivity and gender parity
- Advises management on financial issues.
Policy Interpretation and Application:
- Accountable for the correct and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance functions through the provision of technical leadership and support in the area of accounting and finance to the country office.
- Contributes to global and regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary relating to finance; Provides technical input to contribute to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
- Implements the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new initiatives, guidelines and procedures as it relates to finance, HACT, IPSAS and Vision.
Fiduciary Integrity/Responsibility for Funds and Assets:
- Safeguards the financial resources entrusted to the office by advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds taking decision on all financial transactions and disbursement of funds.
- Ensures efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and consistency of approaches.
Leadership in Strategic Planning and Policy Formulation in the Area of Financial Operations:
- Plays a role in strategic financial planning and decision-making within the UNICEF Operations and provides sound professional input and oversight to the development, reform and change of financial guide-lines, systems and procedures including but not limited to the management of financial resources using remote programming approach; collaborate with implementing partners on the review and strengthening of their financial systems under the Harmonised Approach to Cash Transfers(HACT) frame-work.
- Participates in effective management process by providing technical advices and supports on financial matters to corporate committees as required.
- Development of the financial component of the CPMP. CPMP is timely completed; contributes to the preparation of budget and documentation
- Participates in the country programme strategy, development, planning and preview/reviews meetings to identify finance related requirements.
Compliance and Internal Control:
- Monitors budget process. Ensures all other financial operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitors compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensures integrity in all financial and other related administrative operations of the office.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Operations, assists in the implementation of agreed audit recommendations as it relates to finance; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective financial performance and efficiency.
Staff Learning and Development:
- Develops training to ensure effective financial operational performance and efficiency. Develops and implements effective staff learning and development programme activities for both programme and operations staff on finance related matters for capacity building
- Plans and conducts workshops for staff’s competency building, staff development in the areas of finance. Provides coaching and counselling to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Collaborates to ensures adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Direct Cash Transfers to Government (DCTs).
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, finance initiatives, etc.).
- Advises Chief of Operations on finance matters and provides guidance on all financial submissions of the office; briefs office staff on financial policies and procedures providing authoritative advice; provides technical guidance to staff in the country and field offices on financial issues.
- Coordinates/liaises with the Chief of Operation, Regional Office or DFAM(as required) for policy formulation in the area of finance; advises on the applicability of new financial policy directives. Makes substantive recommendations on the improvement of financial systems and internal controls, planning and restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues and problems, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Collaborates with senior Programme Officers and country office staff providing creative problem solving in support of programming activities relating to finance while maintaining sound internal operational controls.
- Represents the office in meetings with local banks and manages the office’s bank accounts and petty cash accounts;
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Accounting, Financial Management Or Economics.
- Experience: Eight years of relevant professional work experience in accounting or financial management, both national and international work experience in management, finance, accounting or related fields;
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are: