Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Gender Based Violence Technical Advisor Assistant
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
- The SRH/GBV technical advisor assistant work under supervision of, and assist the SHR/GBV technical advisor for overseeing the quality and technical aspects of the SRH and GBV program, through formal and on-the-job training and supervision, and other methods agreed with Health Coordinator.
- All technical training and support must be based on National guidelines, MDM guidelines and WHO guidelines.
- With support from SRH/GBV technical advisor, he/she advises the clinic team on ensuring the implementation of SRH and GBV related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator.
- Under guidance of SRH/GBV technical advisor, he/she supports the midwives , through the Health Coordinator to ensure smooth incorporation of SRH and GBV component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor ensuring the quality of SRH and GBV activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Assists SRH/GBV technical advisor in development of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MDM SRH and GBV activities.
- Assists SRH/GBV technical advisor to identify needs of trainings for all healthcare staff, with a focus on Midwives, on topics within the realm of Sexual and Reproductive Health (including obstetric emergencies; antenatal care; post-natal care; family planning, health promotion and clinical care for survivors of rape or sexual violence)
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor in designing and implementing formal and Informal trainings to the Midwives to address SRH/GBV knowledge gaps and ensure the implementation of new knowledge learnt in the clinics’ everyday activities.
- Assists SRH/GBV to ensure that the midwives are trained to manage cases of Gender Based Violence with a focus on upholding a survivors’ rights to dignity and confidentiality.
- In close collaboration with other technical advisors, assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to plan, implement and supervise SRH/GBV formal trainings for OTP Staff, nurses, Community Mobilisers, and others as needed.
- Work in close collaboration with other MDM technical advisors, and with support from SRH/GBV technical advisor implement trainings according to technical needs in each medical activity including SGBV (i.e. CMR training).
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor in proposing recommendations to medical clinic supervisors and in close concertation with medical and MHPSS team especially midwives, nurses, medical supervisors, community mobilisers, nutrition team and crowd controllers and registrars, to improve triage activities.
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, assist the SRH/GBV technical advisor to define the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor ensuring appropriate treatment according to the protocols are followed in all MdM operational sites. This includes quality of medical care dispensed.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to monitor the quality of the prescriptions given by t midwives closely to ensure quality and accuracy, in collaboration with MDM medical team
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to ensure the dissemination and ownership of MDM procedures for management of pharmaceuticals in the field, including PEP kit, management and requests to UNFPA and logistics
- Provide direct care to patients when necessary
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to SRH as well as GBV.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to SRH and GBV, in line with MDM training materials available.
- Assist with provision of on job technical support to midwives in damboa, Maiduguri and new operational sites
Communication & advocacy:
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MDM operational model for the response to SRH and GBV in humanitarian settings.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
- Reports directly to the SRH/GBV technical advisor
- Ensures appropriate health education on SRH/GBV is provided to clients according to service delivery
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to make sure the SRH and GBV data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to share to Health Services Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to participate to internal MDM meetings.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to participate to the GBV /SRH sub cluster meetings (or other meetings related to SRH and protection) and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, represent the SRH/GBV technical advisor to participate in meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in Nutrition.
- Ensures submission of accurate SRH/CMR data by midwives on weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor to c to develop the MdM monthly sitrep.
- Assists the SRH/GBV technical advisor in the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
- Based on work needs, the incumbent to undertake any duties assigned by his/her line manager, and within the scope of MDM work in the country.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The SRH and GBV Technical Advisor Assistant is directly under the responsibility of the SRH/GBV Technical Advisor.
- S/he has technical links with the technical advisors and their deputies (under the Quality Coordinator), the Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
Skills and Experience Needed
- Midwife or a Nurse with Midwifery Diploma or Medical Doctor with SRH/GBV specialisation;
- Public Health certificate/training is an added value;
- At least 2 years of professional experience in relevant position;
- At least 1 previous experience with an INGO is required (with MDM is an asset);
- Ability to design and implement quality training;
- Relevant qualifications in Emergency SRH and development activities;
- Experience working with gender based violence survivors and knowledge of CMR protocols;
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process;
- Work experience in insecure environments is an advantage and/or knowledge of the cultural/social influences on SRH and GBV in North East Nigeria.
Required personal skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
Method of Application
Candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the "Job Title and Location" as the subject of the mail.