The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
TAAT Maize Compact Lead (Consultancy Services) for West and Central Africa
Financing Agreement reference: P- Z1-A00-016
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Project ID No.: 2100155036067
Background of the Project
- This request for expression of interest follows the General Procurement Notice for this project that appeared on the African Development Bank Group’s Internet Website (www.afdb.org) 16th August, 2018
- African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is implementing the Maize Compact, financed through a grant from the African Development Bank toward the cost of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) Program and intends to apply part of the proceeds for this grant to facilitate payment for a consultant-TAAT Maize Compact lead for West and Central Africa.
- The Consultant is expected to provide leadership and guidance for the implementation of the TAAT Maize Compact activities in the four (Benin, Cameroon, Ghana and Nigeria) participating countries of West and Central Africa;
- Produce and link early generation seeds of stress tolerant maize genotypes to seed companies and other seed producing entities for impact;
- In close collaboration with the Fall Armyworm Compact, participate in the design and implementation of on-farm and other trials on varietal performance and/or management factors that alleviate infestation by fall armyworm;
- Consult with national program leaders including the private sector, non-governmental organizations and other interested partners on maize related matters and issues of wider importance to aid attainment of maize transformational impact in West and Central Africa;
- Organize training courses for maize value chain stakeholders and lead preparation of technical reports related to the maize compact of the project according to donor and IITA requirements.
- The desired consultant should possess a Doctorate degree in Agriculture - Plant Science with proven experience in knowledge of varieties to be scaled out;
- Demonstrated experience in maize technology scale-out for improving productivity and impact; Experience in working with farmers and farmer groups for sustainable technology uptake and uses.
- A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the Bank’s October 2015 edition of the Bank’s Procurement Policy framework 1.The assignment shall be for the life of the Project but shall be for a duration of One (1) year in the first instance and is expected to start on 1st October 2019.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours (0800-1630hrs)2.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates must provide comprehensive CV information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services including a description of similar assignments done and experience in similar conditions to:
Attn: Chrysantus Akem; PhD
TAAT Program Coordinator | Program Management Unit,
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture,
Headquarters & West Africa Hub,
PMB 5320, Oyo Road,
Oyo State, Nigeria.
International Mailing Address:
IITA, Carolyn House, 26 Dingwall Road,
Croydon, CR9 3EE,
Click here for more Information (PDF)
For more enquiries, please call: +234 2 7517472 | USA Tel: +1 201 6336094 | Fax: +44 208 7113785 | Mobile No: +234 8169020531 Email: C.Akem@cgiar.org Skype: (bobesancte).
Interested and qualified? Go to IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture career website on jobs.iita.org to apply